Application of Baire category theorem

In summary, to prove that ##D## is not a ##G_δ##, it is enough to show that ##D^c## is nowhere dense, which can be done by showing that ##(X \setminus A_n)## has empty interior for all ##n \in \mathbb N##, which implies that ##X## is the union of nowhere-dense closed sets, contradicting the Baire category theorem.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##(X,d)## be a complete metric space without isolated points and let ##D## be an enumerable dense subset of ##X##. Prove that ##D## is not a ##G_δ## (countable intersection of open sets).

The attempt at a solution.

Suppose that ##D## is a ##G_δ##. So ##D=\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} A_n## , ##A_i## open for every ##i \in \mathbb N##. Then ##D^c=\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} X \setminus A_n## is a countable union of closed sets. Here comes my question: How could I prove that this sets are nowhere dense? I know that ##\overline {D}=X## by hypothesis; then ##\overline {D}^c=\emptyset##, but I want to prove that ##\overline {D^c}^\circ=\emptyset##.
If I could prove that the complement is nowhere dense, then ##X=A \cup B## where ##A=\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N, d_n \in D} \{d_n\}## and ##B=D^c##. Since X has no isolated points, each ##\{d_n\}^\circ=\emptyset##. Then ##X## is the union of nowhere-dense closed sets, which is absurd by the Baire category theorem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##(X,d)## be a complete metric space without isolated points and let ##D## be an enumerable dense subset of ##X##. Prove that ##D## is not a ##G_δ## (countable intersection of open sets).

The attempt at a solution.

Suppose that ##D## is a ##G_δ##. So ##D=\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} A_n## , ##A_i## open for every ##i \in \mathbb N##. Then ##D^c=\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} X \setminus A_n## is a countable union of closed sets. Here comes my question: How could I prove that this sets are nowhere dense? I know that ##\overline {D}=X## by hypothesis; then ##\overline {D}^c=\emptyset##, but I want to prove that ##\overline {D^c}^\circ=\emptyset##.
If I could prove that the complement is nowhere dense, then ##X=A \cup B## where ##A=\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N, d_n \in D} \{d_n\}## and ##B=D^c##. Since X has no isolated points, each ##\{d_n\}^\circ=\emptyset##. Then ##X## is the union of nowhere-dense closed sets, which is absurd by the Baire category theorem.

##X \setminus A_n## is already closed. So to prove it's nowhere dense you just have to show it has empty interior. I.e. it doesn't contain any open subsets.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
##X \setminus A_n## is already closed. So to prove it's nowhere dense you just have to show it has empty interior. I.e. it doesn't contain any open subsets.
You're right. ##\overline D^c=D^c##. So, I have to prove ##{D^c}^\circ=\emptyset##. I have to show that for every ##x \in D^c## and for every ##δ>0##, the ball ##B(x,δ) \not\subset D^c##. So, take ##x \in D^c## and ##δ>0## arbitrarily. Suppose ##B(x,δ) \subset D^c##. ##D## is dense in ##X##, so ##B(x,δ) \cap D≠\emptyset##. But then, there exists ##y## such that ##y \in D## and ##y \in D^c##, which is absurd. It follows that ##{D^c}^\circ=∅##.

mahler1 said:
You're right. ##\overline D^c=D^c##. So, I have to prove ##{D^c}^\circ=\emptyset##. I have to show that for every ##x \in D^c## and for every ##δ>0##, the ball ##B(x,δ) \not\subset D^c##. So, take ##x \in D^c## and ##δ>0## arbitrarily. Suppose ##B(x,δ) \subset D^c##. ##D## is dense in ##X##, so ##B(x,δ) \cap D≠\emptyset##. But then, there exists ##y## such that ##y \in D## and ##y \in D^c##, which is absurd. It follows that ##{D^c}^\circ=∅##.

That's a little round about. I would just say that an open subset of ##X \setminus A_n## wouldn't contain any elements of D because they are all in ##A_n##. But that's impossible because D is dense. But I think it's the same idea.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
That's a little round about. I would just say that an open subset of ##X \setminus A_n## wouldn't contain any elements of D because they are all in ##A_n##. But that's impossible because D is dense. But I think it's the same idea.

I have a doubt: with your idea, I would have proved that ##(X \setminus A_n)^\circ=\emptyset##. Then ##\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} (X \setminus A_n)^\circ=\emptyset##. But I am not sure if ##\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} (X \setminus A_n)^\circ=(\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} X \setminus A_n)^\circ={D^c}^\circ##. It's easy to see that given two sets ##A## and ##B##, it's always true that ##A^\circ \cup B^\circ \subset (A \cup B)^\circ##, but I don't know if the other inclusion always holds.

mahler1 said:
I have a doubt: with your idea, I would have proved that ##(X \setminus A_n)^\circ=\emptyset##. Then ##\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} (X \setminus A_n)^\circ=\emptyset##. But I am not sure if ##\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} (X \setminus A_n)^\circ=(\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} X \setminus A_n)^\circ={D^c}^\circ##. It's easy to see that given two sets ##A## and ##B##, it's always true that ##A^\circ \cup B^\circ \subset (A \cup B)^\circ##, but I don't know if the other inclusion always holds.

The other inclusion doesn't hold in general. But you don't need that. You are going off on some kind of tangent here. If you prove that ##(X \setminus A_n)## has no interior, doesn't that show ##(X \setminus A_n)## is nowhere dense? Doesn't that in turn mean X is the countable union of nowhere dense sets? It's the union of all of those sets plus the union of the countable singletons in D.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
The other inclusion doesn't hold in general. But you don't need that. You are going off on some kind of tangent here. If you prove that ##(X \setminus A_n)## has no interior, doesn't that show ##(X \setminus A_n)## is nowhere dense? Doesn't that in turn mean X is the countable union of nowhere dense sets? It's the union of all of those sets plus the union of the countable singletons in D.
Yes, sorry. I forgot the original problem.

mahler1 said:
Yes, sorry. I forgot the original problem.

No problem. Actually, I finally see what you are trying to do. I was skipping over some parts since they were so obviously wrong, I though that they were just bad notation. If you were actually trying to prove that ##X \setminus D## is nowhere dense think of the example where D is the rationals (Q) and X is the reals (R). The ##R \setminus Q## is not nowhere dense, in fact, it's dense. A countable union of nowhere dense sets doesn't have to be nowhere dense. It often helps to pick a concrete example like Q in R to hold in your mind when you are doing proofs like this.

Dick said:
No problem. Actually, I finally see what you are trying to do. I was skipping over some parts since they were so obviously wrong, I though that they were just bad notation. If you were actually trying to prove that ##X \setminus D## is nowhere dense think of the example where D is the rationals (Q) and X is the reals (R). The ##R \setminus Q## is not nowhere dense, in fact, it's dense. A countable union of nowhere dense sets doesn't have to be nowhere dense. It often helps to pick a concrete example like Q in R to hold in your mind when you are doing proofs like this.

Thanks for the remark.

Related to Application of Baire category theorem

1. What is the Baire category theorem?

The Baire category theorem is a fundamental result in topology, a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces and continuous functions. It states that in a complete metric space, a countable intersection of dense open sets is itself dense. In simpler terms, it shows that certain types of spaces cannot be "too small" or "too sparse".

2. How is the Baire category theorem used in mathematics?

The Baire category theorem has a wide range of applications in mathematics, particularly in analysis and functional analysis. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to certain differential equations, to show the completeness of certain spaces, and to establish results in measure theory and ergodic theory.

3. Can you provide an example of how the Baire category theorem is applied?

One example of how the Baire category theorem is applied is in the proof of the Banach-Steinhaus theorem, also known as the uniform boundedness principle. This theorem states that if a sequence of continuous linear operators from a Banach space to a normed space is pointwise bounded, then the operators are uniformly bounded. The proof of this theorem relies on the Baire category theorem.

4. Why is the Baire category theorem important?

The Baire category theorem is important because it provides a powerful tool for proving the existence of solutions and establishing important properties in various areas of mathematics. It also has connections to other important theorems, such as the Banach fixed point theorem and the Hahn-Banach theorem.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Baire category theorem?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the Baire category theorem, such as the Baire-Sierpinski theorem and the Baire-Hausdorff theorem. These theorems extend the concept of "small" or "sparse" sets to more general topological spaces, and have important applications in fields such as functional analysis and measure theory.