Apparent weight - ferris wheel

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for a ferris wheel to make one rotation and the apparent weight of a person at the bottom of the wheel. Using the equations for centripetal acceleration and velocity, the time was found to be 14.2 seconds. To find the apparent weight, the equation N = mg + mv^2/r was used, where N is the apparent weight, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the wheel. By knowing the true weight and mass of the person, the apparent weight at the bottom was calculated.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

So if a person's apparent weight at the top of a ferris wheel is 0N find the time it takes the ferris wheel to make on rotation.

Then find the apparent weight of a person at the bottom of the ferris wheel for the same person on the same ferris wheel?

Homework Equations

a=v2/r

v=2pi(r)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

So to find the time i did the following.

a=9.8 m/s2
r=50m

9.8=v2/50
v=22.1 m/s

22.1=2pi(50)/T

T=14.2 seconds

Now i am not sure what to do to find the apparent weight of the person when he or she is at the bottom of the ferris wheel. I know i have all the information i need i just am having a little trouble starting :(

I know...

N - mg = m v^2 / r

N = mg + m v^2 / r

but i am not sure how to use these to find the apparent weight...

Can someone give me a little push please :)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind i got it. It was for the same passenger as used in earlier parts of the problem so i already know his true weight and therefore his mass which allowed me to find his apparent weight at the bottom :)

1. What is apparent weight in relation to a ferris wheel?

Apparent weight is the measurement of the force or weight an object feels while in motion on a ferris wheel. This is different from actual weight, as it takes into account the additional forces and acceleration experienced by the object as it moves.

2. How does apparent weight change on a ferris wheel?

As a ferris wheel rotates, the apparent weight of an object will change depending on its position on the wheel. At the bottom of the wheel, the apparent weight will be greater due to the acceleration of the wheel pushing the object downwards. At the top of the wheel, the apparent weight will be less as the acceleration is pulling the object upwards.

3. What factors affect the apparent weight on a ferris wheel?

The main factor that affects apparent weight on a ferris wheel is the acceleration of the wheel. Other factors such as the speed of rotation and the position of the object on the wheel can also have an impact on the apparent weight.

4. How is apparent weight measured on a ferris wheel?

Apparent weight can be measured using a variety of methods, including a scale or a force meter. These devices can measure the forces acting on an object and determine the apparent weight based on the acceleration and position on the ferris wheel.

5. Why is understanding apparent weight important on a ferris wheel?

Understanding apparent weight on a ferris wheel is important for safety reasons. It helps engineers and ride operators design and operate the ride in a way that ensures the safety and comfort of the riders. It also allows for accurate calculations and predictions of the forces acting on the ride and its components.