Ferris Wheel Weight of the Rider

In summary, a rider on a Ferris wheel with a radius of 15.0 m and rotating at a constant angular speed will experience an apparent weight of 645.39 N when at the bottom of the wheel, taking into account both gravity and the centripetal force provided by the normal force of the seat.
woaini

Homework Statement

A Ferris wheel has a radius of radius of 15.0 m. It rotates at a constant angular speed, and makes one full revolution in 25.0 s. Calculate the apparent weight of a rider (mass = 60 kg) when at the bottom of the wheel.

r=15
T=25s
v=(2*pi*15)/25
a=((2*pi*15)/25)^2/15

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F=60*((2*pi*15)/25)^2/15=0.9465

Am I doing it right or do I just multiply the mass by g?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rider will be feeling the effects of both gravity and the centripetal acceleration. That is to say, in your free body diagram (which I'm sure you've drawn, right?) the normal force provided by the seat of the Ferris wheel on the rider must counter the force due to gravity on the man's mass as well as provide the centripetal force to move that mass in circular motion.

Alright so I have already solved for centripetal force. So I simply subtract that from the normal force?

Which turns out to be this. (60*9.81)-0.9465=587.654N

woaini said:
Alright so I have already solved for centripetal force. So I simply subtract that from the normal force?

Which turns out to be this. (60*9.81)-0.9465=587.654N

The rider should feel heavier at the bottom, not lighter. The normal force increases because it supports his weight due to gravity AND provides the centripetal force for circular motion.

Also, recheck your calculations for the centripetal force. The final value does not look correct (it should be quite a bot larger).

I recalculated centripetal force and got 56.79N. Adding that to the riders weight I get (60*9.81)+56.79=645.39 N.

woaini said:
I recalculated centripetal force and got 56.79N. Adding that to the riders weight I get (60*9.81)+56.79=645.39 N.

Looks good :smile:

1. How is the weight of the rider calculated for a Ferris wheel?

The weight of the rider is calculated by multiplying the mass of the rider by the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s²) and the radius of the Ferris wheel. This equation is known as F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. Does the weight of the rider affect the speed of the Ferris wheel?

Yes, the weight of the rider does affect the speed of the Ferris wheel. Heavier riders will cause the Ferris wheel to rotate at a slower speed compared to lighter riders. This is because the weight of the rider adds to the total mass of the Ferris wheel, which requires more force to rotate at the same speed.

3. How does the weight distribution of the riders impact the balance of the Ferris wheel?

The weight distribution of riders on a Ferris wheel is important for maintaining balance. If there is an uneven distribution of weight on one side of the Ferris wheel, it can cause the wheel to tilt and affect the balance. Ferris wheels are designed to evenly distribute weight on both sides to prevent this from happening.

4. Can multiple riders of different weights ride on the Ferris wheel at the same time?

Yes, multiple riders of different weights can ride on the Ferris wheel at the same time. The weight of each individual rider is taken into account when calculating the overall weight of the Ferris wheel and adjusting the speed accordingly. As long as the total weight limit is not exceeded, the Ferris wheel can safely operate with riders of different weights.

5. How does the weight of the rider affect the overall safety of the Ferris wheel?

The weight of the rider does not directly affect the safety of the Ferris wheel. Ferris wheels are designed and tested to safely support a certain weight limit, including the weight of the riders. However, it is important for riders to follow safety guidelines and not exceed the weight limit to prevent any potential accidents.