Apostol's Theorem 2.5, sine cosine example

In summary: So 1/2 * (x - sin(2x)/2) = a/2 - (sin(2a)/4), which is the final formula on the right.In summary, the final formula on the right in Example 3 under Theorem 2.5 of Apostol's Calculus Volume 1 is obtained by using the trig identity for sin^2x, pulling out a 1/2 from the integral, and integrating each term. This results in the formula a/2 - sin(2a)/4.
hotwater

Homework Statement

In Example 3 under Theorem 2.5 of Apostol's Calculus Volume 1, I don't understand how the final formula on the right is obtained.

Homework Equations

The identity cos 2x = 1 - 2 sin2 x implies sin2x = 1/2(1 - cos 2x) so, from Example 2, we obtain:
[tex]\int^a_0\,sin^2\,x\,dx = \frac{1}{2}\,\int^a_0(1 - cos\,2x)\,dx = \frac{a}{2} - \frac{1}{4}\,sin\,2a[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess this uses (2.14), but I don't understand how:
(2.14): [tex]\int^{a}_{0}[/tex] sin x dx = 1 - cos a

Scribd has a copy of the book online, at http://www.scribd.com/doc/36116063/eBook-Tom-Apostol-Calculus#. My question is in regard to page 101, Example 3, near the bottom.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hotwater said:

Homework Statement

In Example 3 under Theorem 2.5 of Apostol's Calculus Volume 1, I don't understand how the final formula on the right is obtained.

Homework Equations

The identity cos 2x = 1 - 2 sin2 x implies sin2x = 1/2(1 - cos 2x) so, from Example 2, we obtain:
[tex]\int^a_0\,sin^2\,x\,dx = \frac{1}{2}\,\int^a_0(1 - cos\,2x)\,dx = \frac{a}{2} - \frac{1}{4}\,sin\,2a[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess this uses (2.14), but I don't understand how:
(2.14): [tex]\int^{a}_{0}[/tex] sin x dx = 1 - cos a

Scribd has a copy of the book online, at http://www.scribd.com/doc/36116063/eBook-Tom-Apostol-Calculus#. My question is in regard to page 101, Example 3, near the bottom.

They used the trig identity to replace sin(x)^2 with (1-cos(2x))/2...then pulled the 1/2 out of the integral and integrated each term. Integral of 1 = x. They did a u-sub on cos(2x) with u=2x, du=2dx, thus it gets another 1/2 out front, and integral of sin = cos.

Related to Apostol's Theorem 2.5, sine cosine example

What is Apostol's Theorem 2.5?

Apostol's Theorem 2.5 is a mathematical theorem that states the equality of the sine and cosine functions for certain angles. It is also known as the sine cosine example.

What does the theorem state?

The theorem states that for any angle θ, the sine of θ is equal to the cosine of (π/2 - θ).

What is the significance of this theorem?

This theorem is significant because it shows the relationship between the sine and cosine functions and allows for simpler calculations and proofs in trigonometry.

How is this theorem used in mathematics?

This theorem is often used in proving other trigonometric identities and in solving equations involving trigonometric functions.

Are there any real-life applications of this theorem?

Yes, this theorem has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where trigonometry is used to solve real-world problems.