Apostol definition of component interval

In summary, Apostol defines the component interval as an open interval within an open subset S of R1 that is not a proper subset of any other open interval in S. This can be visualized as cutting up R1 into disjoint open intervals and a component interval being one of those intervals that spans the whole of one of the disjoint open intervals. This simplifies definitions about measure, such as the outer measure of a set, as open sets have a unique decomposition into disjoint open intervals. Some recommended analysis books include M. Rosenlicht's book and Wilcox and Myers' Intro to Lebesgue Integration and Fourier series.
kahwawashay1
Apostol in his "Mathematica Analysis" defines something called a "component interval". However, I cannot find it anywhere on google or in other books I have on analysis, and I really would like to see a picture of what he means..

Apostol's definition is that the component interval of an open subset S of R1 is an open interval I such that I[itex]\subseteq[/itex]S and such that no open interval J≠I exists such that I[itex]\subseteq[/itex]J[itex]\subseteq[/itex]S

In other words, a component interval of S is not a proper subset of any other open interval in S.

So does this mean basically that if we cut up R1 into disjoint open intervals and define their union as S, then a component interval I will be the anyone of those disjoint open intervals such that I spans the whole of one such disjoint open interval?

I attached to this post an image i drew in Paint of how I visually see component intervals. If someone could please look on it and tell me if i am correct i would be grateful

Attachments

• intervals.bmp
    147 KB · Views: 754
Physics news on Phys.org
kahwawashay1 said:
Apostol in his "Mathematica Analysis" defines something called a "component interval". However, I cannot find it anywhere on google or in other books I have on analysis, and I really would like to see a picture of what he means..

Apostol's definition is that the component interval of an open subset S of R1 is an open interval I such that I[itex]\subseteq[/itex]S and such that no open interval J≠I exists such that I[itex]\subseteq[/itex]J[itex]\subseteq[/itex]S

In other words, a component interval of S is not a proper subset of any other open interval in S.

So does this mean basically that if we cut up R1 into disjoint open intervals and define their union as S, then a component interval I will be the anyone of those disjoint open intervals such that I spans the whole of one such disjoint open interval?

I attached to this post an image i drew in Paint of how I visually see component intervals. If someone could please look on it and tell me if i am correct i would be grateful

I would think about whether a if you had two component intervals in a set whether they can intersect or not. This should give you a picture of what they are.

Some sets have only an empty component interval - like a single point or the rational numbers or the irrational numbers.

This may have to see with the result that every open subset of ℝ can be expressed uniquely as the disjoint union of countably-many open intervals (e.g., for countability, select a rational for each interval). A component interval may be one of the intervals in the decomposition of the set. Are you reading Luke, Mark, etc?

Bacle2 said:
This may have to see with the result that every open subset of ℝ can be expressed uniquely as the disjoint union of countably-many open intervals (e.g., for countability, select a rational for each interval). A component interval may be one of the intervals in the decomposition of the set. Are you reading Luke, Mark, etc?

ok i think i get it then. And no I haven't heard of Luke or Mark, I am reading Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis" and Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". Do Luke, Mark also have good analysis books? Could you please recommend?

Sorry, Kawashay, it was a stupid joke about apostols (of which I really know nothing). I personally like M. Rosenlicht's book and Wilcox and Myers' Intro to Lebesgue Integration and Fourier series for intro/review books.

BTW: this result about open sets simplifies a lot of definitions about measure.

Bacle2 said:
Sorry, Kawashay, it was a stupid joke about apostols (of which I really know nothing). I personally like M. Rosenlicht's book and Wilcox and Myers' Intro to Lebesgue Integration and Fourier series for intro/review books.

BTW: this result about open sets simplifies a lot of definitions about measure.

Ohh you meant those religious guys ahah. Sorry i am not christian or whoever believes in them lol so i didnt get joke. But thanks I will try to find those books you mentioned, and what do you mean about this result simplifying definitions about measure?

I learned all the names by watching Jeopardy; I want to play one day, make it big, and retire and do math and hang-out all day .

Anyway, enough daydreaming: one of the ways this helps is in the definition of outer measure m*of a set, which is defined (sort of) recursively: the outer measure m*(a,b):=b-a,
and m* of any subset (notice _every_ set has a well-defined outer-measure) is defined as the inf m* over all covers by open sets. Since open sets have a unique decomposition, this allows us well-define, e.g., the measure of any open set as the disjoint union of open intervals as Ʃ(an-bn) , since the decomposition into open intervals is unique.

Related to Apostol definition of component interval

1. What is the Apostol definition of component interval?

The Apostol definition of component interval is a mathematical concept that defines the smallest interval containing all the roots of a polynomial function. It is named after the mathematician Tom M. Apostol, who introduced this definition in his book "Mathematical Analysis".

2. How is the Apostol definition of component interval different from other definitions of intervals?

The Apostol definition of component interval differs from other definitions in that it explicitly considers the roots of a polynomial function, rather than just the range of values. It also takes into account the multiplicity of roots, which can affect the size of the interval.

3. What is the significance of the Apostol definition of component interval in mathematics?

The Apostol definition of component interval is important in mathematics because it helps to accurately determine the roots of a polynomial function. It also provides a more precise definition of an interval, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

4. Can the Apostol definition of component interval be applied to other types of functions?

Yes, the Apostol definition of component interval can be applied to any continuous function, not just polynomial functions. However, it is most commonly used for polynomial functions because it provides a more precise result compared to other interval definitions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Apostol definition of component interval?

One limitation of the Apostol definition of component interval is that it only applies to continuous functions. It also does not take into account the complex roots of a polynomial function, which can affect the size of the interval. Additionally, it may not always provide the most efficient approach for finding intervals in certain cases.