AP Physics Momentum Problem?

In summary: For (b), you have a ball changing its potential energy into kinetic energy.Again, I would start with PE at the top = KE at the bottomand then put in the detailed formulas for PE and KE. well, considering the ball is moving around one point (where the wire connects to the ceiling), you can say it is moving 90degrees. this means, it it moving .25revolutions. this turns into an angular motion problem, or at least that's how I did it. You can find the time using the two vector components, so you're on the right track. Once you have the time, you also have the initial velocity of 0rev/sec, and a distance of .25
bman123

Homework Statement

A ball is attached to one end of a wire, the other end being fastened to the ceiling. The wire is held horizontal, and the ball is released from rest (see the drawing). It swings downward and strikes a block initially at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface. Air resistance is negligible, and the collision is elastic. The masses of the ball and block are, respectively, 1.5 kg and 2.35 kg, and the length of the wire is 1.36 m. Find the velocity (magnitude and direction) of the ball (a) just before the collision, and (b) just after the collision.

Homework Equations

not exactly sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried splitting into vector components but I'm not sure if this is right or what to do from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), you have a ball changing its potential energy into kinetic energy.
I would start with
PE at the top = KE at the bottom
and then put in the detailed formulas for PE and KE.

well, considering the ball is moving around one point (where the wire connects to the ceiling), you can say it is moving 90degrees. this means, it it moving .25revolutions. this turns into an angular motion problem, or at least that's how I did it. You can find the time using the two vector components, so you're on the right track. Once you have the time, you also have the initial velocity of 0rev/sec, and a distance of .25rev. do the angular acceleration formula (well, the angular distance formula solved for acceleration) then you have the angular acceleration. With that, do the final velocity formula. Now, you know that in angular motion, the velocity vector is tangent to any point on the circle. So at this point in the circle, the ball is moving at the velocity you just found, meaning that it is moving ____rev/sec. convert this to meters/sec by finding the circumference of the circle, multiply to get the value in meters/sec. now you have the velocity of the ball just before the collision, I hope that helped to get you on the right track, good luck!

Related to AP Physics Momentum Problem?

1. What is momentum in AP Physics?

Momentum in AP Physics is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The SI unit for momentum is kg*m/s.

2. How is momentum conserved in AP Physics?

Momentum is conserved in AP Physics according to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the initial momentum of a system must equal the final momentum, even if there are collisions or interactions between objects within the system.

3. How do I calculate momentum in AP Physics?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. It is important to remember that both mass and velocity are vector quantities, so their direction must also be taken into account when calculating momentum.

4. What are some real-world applications of momentum in AP Physics?

Momentum has many real-world applications, such as in sports, transportation, and engineering. In sports, momentum is used to calculate the force needed to stop or change the direction of an object, such as a hockey puck or a baseball. In transportation, momentum is used to design safer cars and trains by considering the impact of collisions. In engineering, momentum is used to design rockets and other vehicles that need to reach high speeds.

5. How does momentum relate to impulse in AP Physics?

Momentum and impulse are closely related in AP Physics. Impulse is the change in momentum of an object, and it is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time it takes for the force to act. This can be represented by the equation J = Ft, where J is impulse, F is force, and t is time. In other words, impulse is the cause of a change in momentum, while momentum is the result of a change in motion.