AP Chemistry Test / Solubility Rules

In summary, the AP Chemistry exam has two main parts, Section I and Section II, that contribute equally (50 percent each) toward the final grade. Section I consists of 75 multiplechoice questions that cover a broad range of topics. Section II consists of six freeresponse questions: three multipart quantitative questions, one question on writing balanced chemical equations and answering a short question for three different sets of reactants, and two multipart questions that are essentially nonquanititative. Teachers should not try to prepare students to answer every question in Section I of the exam. To be broad enough in scope to give every student who has covered an adequate amount of material an opportunity to make a good showing, the exam must be so comprehensive that no student should
cadillac
I'm finding a lot of inconsistency with the solubility rules from different sources.

especially when it comes to SO4(negative 2 charge).

my teacher told me: soluble except when combined with Ca2+, Ba2+, Sr2+, Pb2+... however, other sources sometimes include Hg(II) 2+, and some Ag+, and some both Hg(I) and (II)... so confusing.

any ideas?

also... not as important, but what is the format of the AP test?
I know its 75 MC and then 6 FRQs, but how much are the MC and FRQ sections scaled? And also, it seems that each FRQ varies in points?

Physics news on Phys.org
cadillac said:
I'm finding a lot of inconsistency with the solubility rules from different sources.

especially when it comes to SO4(negative 2 charge).

my teacher told me: soluble except when combined with Ca2+, Ba2+, Sr2+, Pb2+... however, other sources sometimes include Hg(II) 2+, and some Ag+, and some both Hg(I) and (II)... so confusing.

any ideas?

I know its 75 MC and then 6 FRQs, but how much are the MC and FRQ sections scaled? And also, it seems that each FRQ varies in points?
Insoluble sulphates (in order from the most insoluble to the least insoluble):
Ra2+, Ba2+, Pb2+, Sr2+, Hg22+, Ca2+, Ag+.
Their pKsp:
10.4, 10.0, 7.7, 6.5, 6.2, 5.0, 4.8

Thank you very much, lightarrow!

You see, the problem is that soluble/insoluble is not zero or one, it is governed by Ksp - so you have to put the limit somewhere. CaSO4 is considered insoluble, but saturated soluition is about 0.005M - not bad for "insoluble" salt. For Ag2SO4 saturated solution has even higher concentraion.

cadillac said:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/chemistry/samp.html --> Sample F/R Questions

College Board said:
The AP Chemistry Exam has two main parts, Section I and Section II, that contribute
equally (50 percent each) toward the final grade. Section I consists of 75 multiplechoice
questions that cover a broad range of topics. Section II consists of six freeresponse
questions: three multipart quantitative questions, one question on writing
balanced chemical equations and answering a short question for three different sets
of reactants, and two multipart questions that are essentially nonquanititative.
Teachers should not try to prepare students to answer every question in Section I
of the exam. To be broad enough in scope to give every student who has covered an
adequate amount of material an opportunity to make a good showing, the exam must
be so comprehensive that no student should be expected to make a perfect or nearperfect
score.
A period of 90 minutes is allotted for Section I of the exam. Section II is divided into
two parts: for Part A (55 minutes), students are allowed the use of a calculator, but for
Part B (40 minutes), no calculators are permitted.
Every Section II of the exam will contain one quantitative question that is based on
chemical equilibrium and one question that is based on laboratory. The laboratory
question may appear in Part A and be quantitative, or it may appear in Part B and
require little or no calculation.

Good luck!:biggrin:

Related to AP Chemistry Test / Solubility Rules

1. What is the AP Chemistry Test?

The AP Chemistry Test is a standardized exam administered by the College Board that assesses a student's understanding of chemistry concepts and their ability to apply them to real-world scenarios. It is typically taken by high school students who have completed a year-long AP Chemistry course.

2. What are the Solubility Rules?

Solubility Rules are a set of guidelines that predict whether or not a compound will dissolve in a given solvent. These rules are based on the interactions between the ions in the compound and the solvent molecules. They are used in chemistry to determine the solubility of different substances.

3. How are Solubility Rules used in the AP Chemistry Test?

Solubility Rules are an important concept in the AP Chemistry Test. Students are expected to understand and apply these rules to determine the solubility of different compounds and to predict the products of chemical reactions. Knowing the Solubility Rules can help students answer questions related to precipitation reactions, acid-base reactions, and more.

4. Can I memorize the Solubility Rules for the AP Chemistry Test?

While it is helpful to have a general understanding of the Solubility Rules, it is not recommended to simply memorize them for the AP Chemistry Test. Instead, it is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind the rules in order to apply them accurately to different scenarios. This will also help students to better understand the concepts and retain the information for future use.

5. How can I prepare for the Solubility Rules on the AP Chemistry Test?

The best way to prepare for the Solubility Rules on the AP Chemistry Test is to practice using them in different scenarios. This could include completing practice problems, participating in class discussions, and reviewing past exams. It is also important to have a solid understanding of basic chemistry concepts, as the Solubility Rules build upon these principles.