AP Calculus Homework: Finding Intervals of Increase and Points of Inflection

• Thread starter nns91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, we discussed a function f defined on the closed interval -3<= x <= 4 with f(0)=3, whose derivative consists of one line segment and a semicircle. We also considered the intervals on which f is increasing and the x-coordinates of the points of inflection on the open interval -3<x<4. In addition, we looked at the function f defined by a power series and used the LaGrange error to approximate f(1) with an error less than 1/100. We also questioned whether f(-3) and f(4) could be found by calculating the area under the graph of f '.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. Let f be a function defined on the closed interval -3<= x <= 4 with f(0)=3. The graph of f's, the derivative of f, consists of one line segment and a semicircle.
(a). On what intervals is f increasing ?
(b). Find the x-coordinate of each point of inflection of the graph of f on the open interval -3<x<4.

2. The function f is defined by the power series

f(x)=[tex]\sum[/tex] (-1)^n*x^2n / (2n+1)! for all real numbers x

a. Show that 1-1/3! approximates f(1) with error less than 1/100.

Homework Equations

LaGrange error

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Is that true to say f is increasing when f is positive ?
b. Is that true to say the inflection point occurs when slope of f ' = 0 ? Or it also has to satisfy the change in sign of curvature ?

2. Do I use LaGrange for this to approximate the error or how should I do it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Also for number one. I need also to find f(-3) and f(4). Do I just calculate the area under the graph of f ' ?

Related to AP Calculus Homework: Finding Intervals of Increase and Points of Inflection

1. What are some common problems encountered in AP (Advanced Placement) courses?

Some common problems encountered in AP courses include difficulty managing the workload and time management, feeling overwhelmed by the level of difficulty, struggling with the pace of the course, and balancing extracurricular activities with schoolwork.

2. How can I effectively prepare for AP exams?

To effectively prepare for AP exams, it is important to attend all classes and take thorough notes, actively participate in class discussions, complete practice problems and assignments, review and study consistently throughout the year, and utilize study resources such as review books or online practice tests.

3. What should I do if I am struggling in an AP course?

If you are struggling in an AP course, it is important to communicate with your teacher and seek additional help, whether it be through tutoring, study groups, or online resources. It may also be helpful to create a study schedule and prioritize your time and efforts towards the course.

4. How are AP courses different from regular high school courses?

AP courses offer a more rigorous and advanced curriculum, similar to that of a college course. They also typically have a faster pace and cover more material than a regular high school course. AP courses also require students to take an end-of-year AP exam for potential college credit.

5. What are the benefits of taking AP courses?

Taking AP courses can have many benefits, including preparing students for the workload and expectations of college, allowing students to potentially earn college credit, standing out on college applications, and challenging students to think critically and develop advanced skills in a particular subject area.