AP Calc: Finding Area of Polar Graphs without a Calculator

In summary: Sketching can be used to plot any function, not just polar graphs. You can use it to plot cosine, A*cos(B*t) + C, or any other function. After awhile you won't need the guides. It's good to have multiple views of the same mathematical object.Shift on the horizontal an and compression on both directions...Quite useless on other functions,pretty handy when it comes to parabolas or circular trig.functions.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I have the AP Calc test coming up in May, and polar graphs are going to be of somewhat importance.

The area of a polar region is: [tex] A = \frac{1}{2}\int_{a}^{b}r^2d\theta[/tex]

The only thing I don't understand is how to know your bounds.

Example: Find the area of one loop of the polar equation [tex]r = \cos(4\theta)[/tex]

Help please :cry:

-------------
Jameson

P.S. I need to do this without a calculator

Physics news on Phys.org
Jameson said:
The only thing I don't understand is how to know your bounds.

Example: Find the area of one loop of the polar equation [tex]r = \cos(4\theta)[/tex]

A loop presumably takes place when the radius r starts at zero (the origin) and ends at zero without hitting zero anywhere in between. Using only this definition, you can easily see how many loops the graph of r = [tex]1-\theta^2[/tex] has and where [tex]\theta[/tex] hits zero. You know the behavior of cos(t) and you should know the behavior of A*cos(B*t) + C for arbitrary A,B, and C. Can you find the bounds using the definition of loop given above ?
It's really just another way of talking about the area between roots of the equation.

Last edited:
[tex]A = \frac{1}{2} \int_{\frac{\pi}{8}}^{\frac{3\pi}{8}} \cos(4\theta) ^{2}d\theta[/tex] ?

Those are when the graph will hit zero... I think at least.

Jameson

How about plotting that [tex] \cos \ 4\theta [/tex]...?You'll figure out immediately when it starts to thake the same values again...Or you can dirrectly plot the polar diagram and find from the graph to what values do the ends of the loop correspond to.

Daniel.

P.S.Shouldn't the polar coord.be [itex] \rho,\varphi [/itex]...?

dextercioby said:
How about plotting that [tex] \cos \ 4\theta [/tex]...?You'll figure out immediately when it starts to thake the same values again...Or you can dirrectly plot the polar diagram and find from the graph to what values do the ends of the loop correspond to.

Daniel.

P.S.Shouldn't the polar coord.be [itex] \rho,\varphi [/itex]...?
He is restricted from using a calculator. Using consecutive roots to find loops is the simplest non-visual way.

Jameson said:
[tex]A = \frac{1}{2} \int_{\frac{\pi}{8}}^{\frac{3\pi}{8}} \cos(4\theta) ^{2}d\theta[/tex] ?

Those are when the graph will hit zero... I think at least.

Jameson
Yep, that's one loop. :)

What I did (incorrectly I know) was [tex]\cos(4*\frac{\pi}{8}) = 0[/tex]

So I started there... and the second bound was where that equaled 0 again. I don't know how to plot polar coordinates really. I'm kind of in the dark here. Can someone tell why my bounds are incorrect?

EDIT: I didn't see you told me I had the right answer. Thank you very much for your help :smile:

Who said anything about using a calculator...?Can't he plot BY HAND [tex] \cos \ 4\theta [/tex] ?? : That's absurd...

Daniel.

Actually I can't plot by hand. I still need to learn. Thank you hypermorphism for your help.

Jameson said:
What I did (incorrectly I know) was [tex]\cos(4*\frac{\pi}{8}) = 0[/tex]

So I started there... and the second bound was where that equaled 0 again. I don't know how to plot polar coordinates really. I'm kind of in the dark here. Can someone tell why my bounds are incorrect?

EDIT: I didn't see you told me I had the right answer. Thank you very much for your help :smile:

Another way is to see that f(t) = cos(4t) shrinks the graph along the x-axis by a factor of 4 so that cos(2pi) is mapped to f(pi/2). The rest is just sketching the graph so that cos(t) in the interval [0,2pi] is shrunk to the interval [0,pi/2]. :)

You can't plot "cosine" by hand...?That's bad...

Daniel.

I can plot cosine by hand Daniel. That's basic trig. I can't plot the polar graph I mentioned.

dextercioby said:
Who said anything about using a calculator...?Can't he plot BY HAND [tex] \cos \ 4\theta [/tex] ?? : That's absurd...

Daniel.
My bad. :D Your plotting is what I refer to as sketching. I've usually only heard plotting in reference to hard-copy plotters/software.

I was spealking about "cosine of 4 theta" which is a strangled version of cosine...

Daniel.

Of course I can plot that... You're right, that would be very bad if I couldn't.

Jameson said:
I can plot cosine by hand Daniel. That's basic trig. I can't plot the polar graph I mentioned.
Try plotting it and its friends (A*cos(B*t) + C) using the Cartesian graphs as guides. After awhile you won't need the guides. It's good to have multiple views of the same mathematical object.

Shift on the horizontal an and compression on both directions...Quite useless on other functions,pretty handy when it comes to parabolas or circular trig.functions.

Daniel.

Related to AP Calc: Finding Area of Polar Graphs without a Calculator

1. What is the purpose of finding the area of polar graphs without a calculator in AP Calc?

The purpose of this skill in AP Calc is to develop a deeper understanding of polar coordinates and their relationship to rectangular coordinates. It also allows students to practice using calculus concepts, such as integration, in a different context.

2. How is the area of a polar graph calculated without a calculator?

The area of a polar graph can be calculated by using the formula A = ½∫ab(r(θ))2 dθ, where r(θ) represents the polar function and a and b represent the start and end values of the angle θ. This formula is derived from the concept of slicing and summing up infinitely thin rectangles to approximate the area under the curve.

3. What are some common polar graphs that are used to find area in AP Calc?

Some common polar graphs that are used in AP Calc include circles, cardioids, limaçons, and rose curves. These graphs have equations that can be easily integrated to find the area under the curve without a calculator.

4. How does finding the area of polar graphs relate to real-life applications?

Finding the area of polar graphs has many real-life applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the area of a satellite dish, the volume of a cone-shaped tank, or the surface area of a spiral galaxy.

5. What are some tips for finding the area of polar graphs without a calculator in AP Calc?

Some tips for finding the area of polar graphs without a calculator include understanding the relationship between polar and rectangular coordinates, using symmetry to simplify the integration, and breaking the graph into smaller sections if necessary. It is also important to practice using different methods, such as the disk and washer methods, to check for accuracy.