Anyone work with liquid flow, tubing size flow dependence

In summary, the problem at hand is finding a suitable pump to maintain a set flow rate in a reaction vessel with 1/6" outlets and a GL14 inlet. The question is whether a change in tubing size will affect the flow rate due to pressure, but it is likely that the volume flow rate will remain the same due to the closed system. However, there may be differences in flow velocity and potential issues with cavitation and entrained vapour bubbles.
rwooduk
I want to use a pump to have solution moving through a reaction vessel at a set flow rate. But the problem is the outlets FROM the pump are very small 1/6" (0.4cm) inner diameter, and the vessel INLET is GL14 thread size (1cm inner diameter).

Schematic

8kNrzlo.jpg

Problem

VyeU6OI.gif

Pump

https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/i/mn/7316033

My question is will a change in tubing size effect the flow rate due to pressure? My initial thoughts are yes, however it is a closed system, so although there is pressure present as the pump "pushes" the liquid through it will after a short period of time equibrilate.

However when I visualise it the flowing fluid from the small tube will disperse into the big one and there will not be the same flow rate in the bigger tube.

Any thoughts on this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
However when I visualise it the flowing fluid from the small tube will disperse into the big one and there will not be the same flow rate in the bigger tube.
Volume flow rate will be the same (it's got nowhere else to go).

Likes rwooduk
Mass flow will remain the same . Volume flow will usually remain the same unless the liquid is pressure sensitive (for example soap suds or a volatile chemical)

Flow velocity will be lower in large pipe than in small pipe .

Apart from the above it depends on the flow velocity in the small pipe . Low velocity probably no problems at all . Higher velocity possible problems with cavitation and entrained vapour bubbles .

Last edited:
Likes rwooduk
^^ okay many thanks for the comments! not sure why I got confused on this one, but thanks again for helping clear it up.

Related to Anyone work with liquid flow, tubing size flow dependence

1. What is liquid flow and why is it important?

Liquid flow refers to the movement of a liquid through a system or container. It is important because it is essential for many industrial and scientific processes, such as transportation of fluids, mixing of chemicals, and cooling systems.

2. How does the size of tubing affect liquid flow?

The size of tubing can greatly impact liquid flow. In general, a larger diameter tubing allows for a higher flow rate, while a smaller diameter tubing restricts flow. This is because there is more surface area for the liquid to flow through in a larger diameter tube, reducing friction and resistance.

3. What is the relationship between tubing size and flow rate?

The relationship between tubing size and flow rate is directly proportional. This means that as the tubing size increases, the flow rate also increases. However, it is important to note that other factors such as viscosity and pressure can also affect flow rate.

4. Can tubing materials affect liquid flow?

Yes, tubing materials can affect liquid flow. Some materials, such as plastic, have a smoother surface that allows for easier flow, while others, like rubber, may have a more rough surface that can cause more resistance and slower flow.

5. How can I determine the optimal tubing size for my liquid flow needs?

The optimal tubing size for liquid flow depends on various factors such as the desired flow rate, viscosity of the liquid, and pressure. It is best to consult with a fluid dynamics expert or conduct experiments to determine the best tubing size for your specific needs.