Anyone want to take a crack at my decyphering my prof's handwriting?

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crack
In summary, this conversation is about a professor's bad handwriting, and how it differs from other people's. The professor is from Canada, and her last name is Ionita. The professor is teaching a class to a Canadian student who has a light accent and is from Poland. The handwriting is flowery and not typical for Americans or Poles, and seems to be a characteristic of women.
No idea what is this "romanian alphabet", but I am absolutely sure it is not what they teach in schools in Romania. It is most likely just an ornamental typeface, never intended to be used in anything else but fancy leaflets or artsy books, and even then only in titles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
No idea what is this "romanian alphabet", but I am absolutely sure it is not what they teach in schools in Romania. It is most likely just an ornamental typeface, never intended to be used in anything else but fancy leaflets or artsy books, and even then only in titles.
She's getting the weirdness from somewhere. I think the OP should ask where she learned to write. :devil:

Evo said:
She's getting the weirdness from somewhere. I think the OP should ask where she learned to write. :devil:

I don't see anything weird about her handwriting. Could be that's because I am used to differences. Her writing looks pretty stable and well established. Mine is much more chaotic.

One duty of a professor is to communicate effectively and clearly with their students. If any of this is done by means of hand written messages then the professor should take enough care to make the messages legible.

Dadface said:
One duty of a professor is to communicate effectively and clearly with their students. If any of this is done by means of hand written messages then the professor should take enough care to make the messages legible.
Agreed, your students shouldn't have to struggle. Grow up and learn how to write professionally, you're not a teenager writing in your diary anymore. I think that when writing in any professional venue, you should strive to be legible, and if you can't write legibly, then type. There is a time and a place for self expression, this isn't it.

Agreed that "romanian alphabet" is a bit artsy, but it was created by a Romanian.
Alex Botezatu. Illustrator and digital artist in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. He created a script face in 2010.
http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-53781.html

The connection with McGill university in Canada may or may not be a conincidence...

The hooks on the top of the t's are strange. There were some ligatures in old letter forms (and some modern calligraphic fonts) that joined the top of the preceding letter to the top of the t for combinations like ct or st.

Somewhere, I've seen a cursive handwritten style where the t is connected to the previous letter by a stroke from the baseline to the top of the t, and the actual letter is just a vertical stroke. The whole thing looked rather like a modern European handwrtten digit 1, joined to the previous letter.

It also reminds me of a cursive greek theta ##\vartheta## - and Romania used the Cyrillic script at one time.

More research to be done, I think.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's "visual aspect", although the way the "s" flows into the "p" makes it look abhorrently like "azpect".

the azpects were a very visual people …

it was the azpects who detected the aztecs, and inspected them o:)

The curse of cursive writing. The purpose of language is to convey thoughts and information. That fundamental purpose has apparently been sacrificed in favor of making the language appear pretty.
Sure, we can't read what he wrote, but gosh darn it, those letters are nice and curly. And let's be honest, isn't that what really matters?
Evo said:
Lol, is this a warning of your handwriting? :-p

Drs must be trained to write poorly in med school, my pharmacist sometimes has to call the doctor to confirm what they've prescribed. Something as serious as a prescription for medication is not the time to demonstrate how poorly you can write, I've read of lawsuits where the pharmacist tried guessing at the dosage and guessed wrong. Just a couple of weeks ago I got the wrong prescription, (right medication, wrong form) the pharmacist said that they weren't sure what it said, I got a dental paste instead of a topical ointment for skin. He was so upset, even though it was the same medicine and same strength, one was a gel instead of a cream, that he drove out to my house to exchange the meds.

No need to take time to write legibly when something as trivial as someone's life is at stake.

tiny-tim said:
the azpects were a very visual people …

it was the azpects who detected the aztecs, and inspected them o:)

:-p