Anyone use MIT Open Courseware?

• Courses
  • Thread starter danielu13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
In summary, a Physics undergrad student shares that their professor is more focused on research and not the best at teaching, causing difficulties for students in the class. They mention using MIT Open Courseware as a resource for self-teaching and ask for suggestions. Another student suggests checking out courses from Yale as well.
danielu13
Hey guys,

I am currently a Physics undergrad student. We have a professor that is more into research, so he isn't the best at teaching the material. Many people are having issues with this specific class due to the professor and we are looking for a way to teach ourselves. I found MIT Open Courseware, which seems to be a good choice. I'm wondering if anyone has used this before or have any other suggestions for some type of guidance.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What course is it? That makes a big difference.

It's PY 201 listed http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/reg_records/crs_cat/PY.html . It's basically the first physics course for Physics majors at my college, and deals with Calculus-based Newtonian physics. Motion, work/energy, and other basic physics concepts such as that. I personally would be happy with something that goes a little more in-depth though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd only use it for additional knowledge, not a substitute for what your professor is teaching since courses can vary from place to place.

These from Yale might help: http://oyc.yale.edu/physics

Hi there,

I have personally used MIT Open Courseware in the past and I can say that it is a great resource for self-study. The courses are designed by top professors at MIT and cover a wide range of topics in various fields, including physics. The materials are well-organized and include lecture videos, notes, assignments, and exams. I highly recommend giving it a try to supplement your learning in this class. Additionally, you may also want to consider reaching out to other students in your class and forming a study group to help each other understand the material. Good luck!

Related to Anyone use MIT Open Courseware?

1. How can I access MIT Open Courseware?

To access MIT Open Courseware, simply visit their website at https://ocw.mit.edu/. From there, you can browse through their extensive collection of open courses and choose the ones that interest you the most.

2. Is MIT Open Courseware free to use?

Yes, MIT Open Courseware is completely free to use. It was created with the goal of making educational resources from MIT accessible to everyone, regardless of their location or financial situation.

3. Can I earn a degree or certificate from MIT Open Courseware?

No, MIT Open Courseware does not offer degrees or certificates. It is simply a platform for open educational resources from MIT. However, some courses may offer certificates of completion, but they do not count towards a degree from MIT.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using MIT Open Courseware?

No, there are no prerequisites for using MIT Open Courseware. It is open to anyone who has an internet connection and a desire to learn.

5. Can I use MIT Open Courseware for commercial purposes?

Yes, you can use the materials from MIT Open Courseware for commercial purposes as long as you properly attribute the source and follow their Creative Commons license. However, some courses may have restrictions on commercial use, so it is important to check the specific course's license before using the materials commercially.