Anyone over 30 start Chemical Engineering program?

In summary, the individual is in their early 30's and considering leaving their current job to enroll in a chemical engineering program at the University of Waterloo. They have no formal post-high school education but have taken programming and database courses. Their wife will support them financially and they have enough retirement savings to cover tuition. They have also started taking high school math, science, and English courses to prepare for the program. The individual is seeking advice from others who have gone through a similar experience, particularly in regards to potential challenges and roadblocks. They have received positive feedback from others who have gone back to school in their thirties and believe that they are better equipped to handle the workload and understand concepts at this age. The only potential negative mentioned is
IG-88
I'm considering leaving my job and enrolling in the chemical engineering program at University of Waterloo. I'm in my early 30's and employed in a Senior I.S. position. I don't have any formal post high school education. Mostly programming and database courses. My wife is going to support us financially and I have enough retirement savings to draw from for tuition.

I've started at home High School Math, Science and English courses so I have a decent knowledge base if/when I get accepted.

I want to make sure I am successful and looking for input from anyone who has done this. What roadblocks or challenges you may have run into(Family, Financial, Transition to full time learning, etc)? Was it difficult as a mature student to get accepted to an engineering program?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can relate to going back to school north of 30. I started back a year ago and I am 32 now. Like you my wife has a good career and is able to support us while I am transition in a new career. I started out as a math major, but have now switched into a computational science major. It will take me three more years to complete my Master's or I could stop at two with a second bachelors (I have a BA in Political science already).

I believe this was the best decision I ever made. School in some ways is much easier if you have a support system around, which it sounds like you do. Classes are much more interesting this time around. So far I have gotten an A in Physics 1, A in calculus 1 and B+ in calculus 2, and an A- in physics 2. I worked pretty hard at but didn't kill myself either. You are better able to understand concepts and have the discipline to get things done at 30 vs. 18, I believe.

The only negative I can really come up with is adjusting to always having school work to do. School full time is very time consuming, but that is a small price to pay to acquire a degree that you will own for the rest of your life, and will open doors that were not open prior to completing it. If you have the financially means, and the emotional support of your wife I say definitely go for it. One year ago I wrote almost the very same post, and here I am one year closer to my goal. The years are going to go by, you might as well be working towards something better for you and your family. Until someone proves otherwise we are only on this Earth once.

In life you most always regret the things you do not do versus the thing we do.

Good Luck!
EG

Thanks for the response Poker-Face. Good to here from someone having a positive experience. I've been getting a little discouraged reading about failure and drop out rates in the more difficult programs. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but I'm just now getting close to the point where it's financially feasible.

I think I'm prepared for the workload. I've read that there are about 30 hours of lectures and labs. Another 30 hours of homework. I spent several years 24/7 on call for system support working 60+ hours a week.

As far as handling a tough degree, yea some degrees are much tougher than others, but as long as you are of average intelligence (which most of us are) it will be the dedication that gets you through it. This is something we get with age and experience. I can't speak on chemical engineering, but a math degree is also known to be tough and I am doing just fine after only completing algebra two 16 years ago. I think you will be fine as long as you understand this may take up all of your spare time studying. Be ready for that commitment.

I don't think you will have any difficulty getting accepted. You may not immediate get into the College of Engineering at your University, but once you get back up to speed with the basic courses required you should have no issue (if you aren't already). I started college after a military career, and several years working for various corporations. At first it was a bit awkward attending classes (and becoming friends with) people 10+ years younger, but I learned to ignore that, and fortunately I still look young enough to be early 20's (I am told). I have found the coursework to be extremely easy, though I now have the discipline to devote the proper time to study, and to recognize when I don't know something. I think that puts me at an advantage compared to my fellow students. I think you will find that it is nothing to really worry about!

I'm also on the plus side of 30, working towards an engineering degree (engineering physics is my aim atm). While I don't think I'm quite as quick mathematically as I was when I was a teenager, my work ethic that I've acquired since then far and away makes up for any smarts I feel I may or may not have lost.
Ten years ago, I just did not have the time, patience, willpower,... whatever to put into school like I do now. I didn't enjoy learning, nor did I appreciate the value of learning like I do now. Sometimes, I think it's a bit unfair to put such a burden on teenagers. Those 4 years of high school and the years afterwards are usually what defines a person career-wise. Those teenage years are often rough for some people and they are just not focused on the rest of their lives at that point.
As long as you have emotional/financial support from your wife you should be fine. I'm in a similar boat. I've been part-time for the past few years while my wife finishes grad school. She'll be done next year, at which point I'll be able to go full time. At that point, I'll have enough credits to transfer as a junior to a 4 year uni. I've also got 2 children, who are wonderful but obviously don't make school much easier.
I'm holding a 4.0 though, having taken some sciences and math up through calc 2 and I've been enjoying myself through the process. I really think the extra years are beneficial to some people, as school is all about the right attitude and the willingness to put in the time and effort.
I really don't think finishing an engineering degree in the mid-30's will put you at a disadvantage to employers, so long as you plan on going into industry. I don't, however, see much of a chance of going into academia and becoming a professor anywhere, however.

Why don't you think going into academia would be possible?

I'll be 30 when I start my senior year and I do plan on going to grad school. I essentially just want to teach at a collegiate level.

I guess I mispoke a bit and generalized a bit much.
From what I've read, though, it just sounds extremely difficult for a person that has done everything correctly the traditional route to get a fully tenured professor position as it is. I would think it would be even harder form someone that went the non-traditional route and is 10+ years older.
Now, if we're talking about teaching at a the collegiate level as opposed to seeking a fully-tenured research position at a uni, then I suppose there's a wide difference.
Then again, I'm definitely not especially knowledgeable about either scenario, so I apologize for throwing out a statement without having firsthand knowledge of it.

Im entering my senior year of Chemical engineering and there are a few people in my class that are 30+ and one guy that is 50+ and they have all done very well.
Just be aware that it is a very difficult major. If you work hard, most terms are manageable, but there will be a couple heavy terms where, unless you are outstanding, the work load is almost overwhelming and every waking moment must be dedicated to school work. In my sophomore year there was an older guy and his family forced him to drop out because he spent all his time on school work. So its important to make sure your family is supportive and understands they might not get to see you much during the tougher terms.

PS. One advantage of you being older; I notice the older guys seem a lot more focused. Us young kids have our raging hormones, angst and desire to party. It makes focusing on school very difficult sometimes.

I have heard two different scenarios for the possibility of an older individual being selected for a tenure track position.

1.) Which I heard here on PF, is that the university would get "less time" out of you, as you are older in life and such.

2.) Which a tenures professor told me, is that they might pay out less total due to your shorter life expectancy. Therefor, it may be beneficial depending on how much work it is likely you will produce.

I'm not really sure which way to lean on this one. I certainly hope for a tenure spot, and I will put in any needed research, I want to actively benefit whatever university I end up at, but at the same time I would be happy making a decent salary and teaching just about wherever.

Latecomer said:
I'm also on the plus side of 30, working towards an engineering degree (engineering physics is my aim atm). While I don't think I'm quite as quick mathematically as I was when I was a teenager, my work ethic that I've acquired since then far and away makes up for any smarts I feel I may or may not have lost.
Ten years ago, I just did not have the time, patience, willpower,... whatever to put into school like I do now. I didn't enjoy learning, nor did I appreciate the value of learning like I do now. Sometimes, I think it's a bit unfair to put such a burden on teenagers. Those 4 years of high school and the years afterwards are usually what defines a person career-wise. Those teenage years are often rough for some people and they are just not focused on the rest of their lives at that point.
As long as you have emotional/financial support from your wife you should be fine. I'm in a similar boat. I've been part-time for the past few years while my wife finishes grad school. She'll be done next year, at which point I'll be able to go full time. At that point, I'll have enough credits to transfer as a junior to a 4 year uni. I've also got 2 children, who are wonderful but obviously don't make school much easier.
I'm holding a 4.0 though, having taken some sciences and math up through calc 2 and I've been enjoying myself through the process. I really think the extra years are beneficial to some people, as school is all about the right attitude and the willingness to put in the time and effort.
I really don't think finishing an engineering degree in the mid-30's will put you at a disadvantage to employers, so long as you plan on going into industry. I don't, however, see much of a chance of going into academia and becoming a professor anywhere, however.

I was in a similar situation as a teenager. I coasted through high school barely showing up to class. It was a place to go a socialize most days. I wouldn't have been successful in University.

Going back now if something I want to do. I have a career in I.T. and have no need for a higher paying job.

I have 2 children as well and that has been a major concern. My daughter will be 17 and probably busy with her own school work. My son is younger and demands more of my time. Just need to figure it out as I go.

Acedemia/Teaching isn't really something I'm interested in.

NanjoeBot said:
Im entering my senior year of Chemical engineering and there are a few people in my class that are 30+ and one guy that is 50+ and they have all done very well.
Just be aware that it is a very difficult major. If you work hard, most terms are manageable, but there will be a couple heavy terms where, unless you are outstanding, the work load is almost overwhelming and every waking moment must be dedicated to school work. In my sophomore year there was an older guy and his family forced him to drop out because he spent all his time on school work. So its important to make sure your family is supportive and understands they might not get to see you much during the tougher terms.

PS. One advantage of you being older; I notice the older guys seem a lot more focused. Us young kids have our raging hormones, angst and desire to party. It makes focusing on school very difficult sometimes.

My partying days lasted a long time but it's out of my system now. Just want to go to learn.

IG-88 said:
Just want to go to learn.
As a mature student who has a family and knows the realities of the work-world, you will have a focus that is very different than younger students. Don't be discouraged by having to slog through some of the basics in classes full of kids. It is worth the work.

As long as you are properly prepared for the course-work and can make the transition back to studying, I am sure you will do fine. If your University allows it, you may consider starting at slightly less than full-time to get into the swing of it.

Related to Anyone over 30 start Chemical Engineering program?

1. What is the career outlook for individuals starting a Chemical Engineering program after the age of 30?

The career outlook for Chemical Engineers is generally positive, with an expected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029. However, starting a Chemical Engineering program after the age of 30 may present some challenges, as the industry tends to favor younger graduates. It is important to research the job market and potential employers before making the decision to pursue this field.

2. Will my age affect my ability to keep up with the coursework and compete with younger students?

The success of a student in a Chemical Engineering program is not solely based on their age, but rather their dedication, hard work, and aptitude for the subject. While it may require more effort to keep up with younger students, age should not be a limiting factor in pursuing this field. Many individuals have successfully completed Chemical Engineering programs later in life and have gone on to have successful careers in the industry.

3. Are there any financial aid options available for older students starting a Chemical Engineering program?

Yes, there are various financial aid options available for individuals starting a Chemical Engineering program after the age of 30. These may include scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities to help alleviate the financial burden of pursuing a degree.

4. How long does it take to complete a Chemical Engineering program for someone over the age of 30?

The length of time it takes to complete a Chemical Engineering program may vary depending on factors such as course load, prior education or work experience, and program structure. On average, it can take 4-5 years to complete a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering. However, many universities offer part-time or accelerated programs that may better accommodate the schedules of older students.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites that are recommended for individuals over 30 starting a Chemical Engineering program?

While there are no specific skills or prerequisites for older students starting a Chemical Engineering program, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, chemistry, and physics. It may also be beneficial to have some prior experience in a related field or industry. Ultimately, the most important factor is a strong passion and dedication for the subject and a willingness to learn and work hard.