Anyone on PF involved in complex systems research?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of discussion on research in complex systems and complexity on PF, and asks if anyone on the forum is involved in this type of research. One user mentions their interest in the field and shares a resource for learning more about it. The nature of complex systems research is briefly described as exploring how similar frameworks can be used to describe different phenomena in various contexts, and how complex and counter-intuitive behavior can arise from these systems.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I have been perusing PF for some time, and what's struck me is how little discussion there has about research in complex systems & complexity, such as the research conducted in places like the Santa Fe Institute or the Center for the Study of Complex Systems at the University of Michigan.

http://www.santafe.edu/

http://lsa.umich.edu/cscs/

I'm curious if anyone here on PF (physicists, mathematicians, computer scientists, biologists, economists, etc.) are involved in complex systems research. If so, could you provide a brief summary of the nature of your research? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not currently engaged in complex systems research, but I've gotten rather interested in the field in recent years.
Simon DeDeo has a set of pretty good video lectures:
Lecture 1: Coarse graining, renormalisation and universality
Lecture 2: Effective theories for computational systems
Lecture 3: Symmetry breaking and non-equilibrium systems

For me, this kinda sums up what I find intriguing about complex systems - how different phenomena in different contexts and at different scales can be described within very similar frameworks, as well as how counter-intuitive collective behaviour can naturally emerge.

Related to Anyone on PF involved in complex systems research?

1. What is complex systems research?

Complex systems research is a field of study that focuses on understanding and analyzing complex systems, which are systems with many interacting components that exhibit emergent behaviors. These systems can include physical, biological, social, and technological systems.

2. What are some examples of complex systems?

Examples of complex systems include ecosystems, the human brain, stock markets, weather patterns, and social networks. These systems have many components that interact with each other, and their behaviors are often unpredictable and non-linear.

3. What are the main challenges in studying complex systems?

One of the main challenges in studying complex systems is the sheer complexity and interconnectedness of the systems themselves. This makes it difficult to isolate and understand individual components or behaviors. Additionally, complex systems often exhibit emergent behaviors that cannot be predicted by studying the individual components in isolation.

4. What are some common research methods used in complex systems research?

Complex systems research often involves a combination of mathematical and computational modeling, data analysis, and experimentation. Researchers may also use interdisciplinary approaches, drawing from fields such as physics, biology, computer science, and social sciences.

5. How is complex systems research relevant to real-world problems?

Complex systems research has many practical applications in fields such as economics, healthcare, transportation, and disaster management. By understanding the underlying principles and behaviors of complex systems, researchers can develop strategies and solutions to address real-world problems and improve decision-making processes.