Anyone have an online set theory text?

In summary, the individual is looking for a publicly available and freely accessible introduction to axiomatic set theory, preferably with basic logic included. Although one recommendation was made, it was not in the public domain. Another individual suggests a link to a PDF that meets the criteria, but cannot guarantee its quality. The individual then asks for further suggestions and acknowledges that some have been checked but do not meet the requirements. The conversation ends with a recommendation for the Patrick Suppes book, Axiomatic Set Theory, which is a Dover publication and less than $15.
IamNameless
I'm looking for a book that can stand as an introduction to axiomatic set theory (if it contains basic logic even better).

Only thing I need it to be in the public domain and freely available online, anyone know of anything?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Thanks for that suggestion, but unfortunately it appears that book is not in the public domain. ): That looks like a great book though (I may get the hard copy at some point).

Anyone else have a link for a intro. to axiomatic set theory which is in the public domain?

There's this: http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~mileti/teaching/math278/settheory.pdf , found through Google. I haven't used it though, so can't comment on whether it's good or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
That one looks great, it appears to cover the everything I need, thanks for that!

Try search the "tutorial" subforum.

I have done so, but I do not see any that fit my requirements (am I missing some?).

The Mileti looks good, but awfully dense as an introduction. You may want to consider the Patrick Suppes book, Axiomatic Set Theory, which is a Dover publication and which is less than $15.

Related to Anyone have an online set theory text?

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is used to understand and analyze the properties and relationships between different sets.

2. Why do I need to learn set theory?

Set theory is the foundation of many other branches of mathematics, such as algebra and calculus. It also has applications in computer science, physics, and other fields. Understanding set theory can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any recommended online set theory texts?

Yes, there are several online set theory texts recommended by mathematicians and educators. Some popular choices include "Naive Set Theory" by Paul Halmos and "Introduction to Set Theory" by Joseph Breuer.

4. How can I access an online set theory text?

Most online set theory texts are available for free on websites such as Project Gutenberg or Open Library. Some may also be available for purchase on platforms like Amazon or through the publisher's website.

5. Can I learn set theory without any prior mathematical knowledge?

While it is recommended to have some foundational knowledge in mathematics, such as basic algebra and logic, it is possible to learn set theory without any prior experience. However, it may require more effort and dedication to fully understand the concepts and principles of set theory.