Anybody Know The Currents And Equations For This Problem?

• Thread starter skivail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the conversation is about a complex circuit problem that the speaker is struggling with. They ask for help and mention a link to the problem. They also discuss the use of mesh current analysis and suggest looking at a website for more information. The speaker offers some equations and a possible solution using mesh analysis, but admits it is a difficult problem for a high school level. They apologize for not being able to provide more help and suggest asking a teacher or for someone else to look at the problem.
skivail
Anybody Know The Currents And Equations For This Problem?

Please if you can, help me! I am usually very good at circuit problems but this one has me baffled! here's the link: http://www.coloradoacademy.org/~phogan/apphys/quiz/rq2_8b.htm

Thanks A Lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
skivail said:
Please if you can, help me! I am usually very good at circuit problems but this one has me baffled! here's the link: http://www.coloradoacademy.org/~phogan/apphys/quiz/rq2_8b.htm

Thanks A Lot!

Are you familiar with mesh current analysis?

Say What??

sorry...that was rude of me. I am in 11th grade trying to redo this quiz for a final trimester test review, and i can't remember at all how it was done. If i knew mesh current analysis, i certainly have forgotten it. Is there anyway to do the prob without it? if not, can you explain this "mesh current" thing to me?

Thank you

skivail said:
sorry...that was rude of me. I am in 11th grade trying to redo this quiz for a final trimester test review, and i can't remember at all how it was done. If i knew mesh current analysis, i certainly have forgotten it. Is there anyway to do the prob without it? if not, can you explain this "mesh current" thing to me?

Thank you

That's ok. I was just thinking of how to solve the problem without the mesh method (it's something you study in college electrical engineering to analyze circuits). It seems like a tough problem for high school.

You have V3... so getting the the current through R4,R5 and R6 is easy. I can't see the others.

There's probably some "trick" here. Otherwise it's just a huge problem.

You're probably not supposed to use mesh analysis if you're in high school.

If you're interested have a look at this site:
http://www.et.cpcc.cc.nc.us/Online/elc133/mesh.html

I'll look at the problem some more and see if there's a trick.

Thank you very much!

skivail said:
Thank you very much!

Can you talk to your teacher about this problem?

You can certainly solve the problem "brute force"... you can do KVL around the different loops... label each resistor with a current... then get around 12 equations with 12 unknowns... but that seems like the "wrong" way to go about the problem.

It seems to me like mesh analysis is the way to solve this. After getting the current through R4, R5 and R6, you can get 5 equations in 5 unknowns using mesh. It is still a large problem for a high school quiz... Still have the feeling I'm not seeing something.

Have a look at that site I gave you a link to.

Well, here's how I'd do it using mesh analysis:
Draw a loop clockwise inside each of the 6 squares. Each loop represents a current. You already know the current in the square in the top row to the right(with R4,R5,R6). Label each current: I1 (going through R1),I2 (through R2),I3(going through R3),I4(going through R12),I5(going through R13).

Then using KVL... for loop 1:

-(I1)(R11) -V1 - (I1)(R1) + V2 - (I1-I4)(R10) + V7 =0

Loop 2:

-V2-(I2)(R2)-(I2-I3)R8 - (I2-I4)R9=0

Loop 3:

-(I3-I2)R8 - I3(R3) - V3 - (I3-I5)R7=0

Loop 4:

-V7 - (I4-I1)(R10) - (I4-I2)R9 + V5 - (I4)(R12) + V4 = 0

Loop 5:
-V5 + (I5-I3)(R7) - V6 - (I5)(R13) = 0

So you've got 5 equations with 5 unknows.

Once you solve for I1,I2,I3,I4,I5... you can get the current anywhere in the circuit. The current through R8 for example is I2-I3 downward. If I2-I3 is negative then the current is I3-I2 (positive value) upward.

Not easy.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Hope someone else sees something I missed.

Related to Anybody Know The Currents And Equations For This Problem?

1. What are the currents and equations for this problem?

The specific currents and equations for a problem will vary depending on the problem itself. It is important to clearly define the problem and its parameters in order to determine the appropriate equations and currents to use.

2. How do I determine the currents and equations for a specific problem?

To determine the currents and equations for a problem, you must first clearly define the problem and its parameters. Then, you can use principles and laws of physics, such as Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Laws, to determine the appropriate equations and currents to use.

3. Can you provide an example of a problem and its corresponding currents and equations?

One example of a problem and its corresponding currents and equations could be a circuit with resistors in parallel and in series. In this case, the currents can be found using Kirchhoff's Laws and the equations can be derived from Ohm's Law.

4. How do I know if I am using the correct currents and equations for a problem?

You can ensure that you are using the correct currents and equations for a problem by double-checking your work and comparing it to known solutions or solutions obtained through simulation. It is also important to clearly state your assumptions and reasoning for selecting specific currents and equations.

5. Are there any resources or references that can help me determine the currents and equations for a problem?

Yes, there are many resources and references available to help scientists and engineers determine the appropriate currents and equations for a problem. These can include textbooks, online resources, and consulting with experts in the field.