Any suggestions for good beginner calculus textbooks.

In summary: Sorry for the lack of precision in my earlier reply. What i want for the moment is just a basic knowledge of calculus as it is tackled much later and in less depth in France than in other countries (eg. England). The main goal is to get on par with the British level once I reach university. As for my current level, it is pretty good in the french system (top marks) but this is without counting the knowledge I lack.What Micromass is asking you, is what mathematics do you know. Ie, do you know algebra, geometry,trig etc. At what level do you know these topics? Ie, trigonometry from a general run of the mill trig book, or maybe G
TheAnt
Hi, i am looking for a good textbook for someone who knows nothing about calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheAnt said:
Hi, i am looking for a good textbook for someone who knows nothing about calculus.
Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson

TheAnt said:

You need to tell us what you do know and what your longterm goals are.

Well, I don't know, but people here in Brazil at UFRJ uses James Stewart.

Yeah, Stewart is about the worst book you can get for calculus, whatever your goals are.

Really? I've heard that it's too basic, now that I remembered
I already know, If you want to know calculus, try Apostol, but remember, you have to know all the subjects of Elementary School II and the High School.

I would suggest Thomas: Calculus With Analytical Geometry 3rd ed, and Serge Lang's Calculus book. Buy both, they are cheap enough.
Apostol is a great book. However, I would not recommended it to a beginner, unless the student is extremely bright or someone can help them.

Hum... I went to look for, and I found this, I did not go out of the still pre-calculus, now that I went to see my books and have them.

oqvrdi.jpg

You are able to read spanish fluently?

Sorry, that appears to be Italian or French. lol I am fluent in both Spanish and English.

MidgetDwarf said:
You are able to read spanish fluently?

You know, reading mathematical texts is very different from usual texts. I am completely certain I can't say a single sentence in spanish. However, I am able to read spanish mathematical texts decently. Given some time and a dictionary, it's pretty easy to fluently read a foreign math book!

This is not Spanish, it's Portuguese, I'm native Portuguese speaker (from Brazil).

micromass said:
You know, reading mathematical texts is very different from usual texts. I am completely certain I can't say a single sentence in spanish. However, I am able to read spanish mathematical texts decently. Given some time and a dictionary, it's pretty easy to fluently read a foreign math book!

I may try that Differential Equations book by Kamke then. It is German, and I always see it referenced in other books.

Joseph Richard said:
This is not Spanish, it's Portuguese, I'm native Portuguese speaker (from Brazil).

Oh ok, I asked because I know of a very good Calculus book in Spanish. There is also a series of good physics book that are affordable in Spanish, but not English.

micromass said:
You need to tell us what you do know and what your longterm goals are.
I am in the french system but i think i have igcse/as level mathematics. My goal is simply to apply calculus to physics as i was told it was needed to move on.

TheAnt said:
I am in the french system but i think i have igcse/as level mathematics. My goal is simply to apply calculus to physics as i was told it was needed to move on.

Sorry, but this tells us nothing. I know high school students who can't solve a simple arithmetic problem, and I know of some who are doing general relativity. So you'll need to be more specific.

I understand that you want to be a physicist? Or an engineer? Why is it that you want to learn physics?

micromass said:
Sorry, but this tells us nothing. I know high school students who can't solve a simple arithmetic problem, and I know of some who are doing general relativity. So you'll need to be more specific.

I understand that you want to be a physicist? Or an engineer? Why is it that you want to learn physics?
Sorry for the lack of precision in my earlier reply. What i want for the moment is just a basic knowledge of calculus as it is tackled much later and in less depth in France than in other countries (eg. England). The main goal is to get on par with the British level once I reach university. As for my current level, it is pretty good in the french system (top marks) but this is without counting the knowledge I lack.

TheAnt said:
Sorry for the lack of precision in my earlier reply. What i want for the moment is just a basic knowledge of calculus as it is tackled much later and in less depth in France than in other countries (eg. England). The main goal is to get on par with the British level once I reach university. As for my current level, it is pretty good in the french system (top marks) but this is without counting the knowledge I lack.

What Micromass is asking you, is what mathematics do you know. Ie, do you know algebra, geometry,trig etc. At what level do you know these topics? Ie, trigonometry from a general run of of the mill trig book, or maybe Gelfand, or even better, Loney?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Any suggestions for good beginner calculus textbooks.

1. What are the key features to look for in a beginner calculus textbook?

The key features to look for in a beginner calculus textbook include a clear and concise explanation of fundamental concepts, plenty of practice problems with solutions, and real-life examples and applications. It should also have a good balance between theory and practical applications, and should be written in a way that is easy to understand for beginners.

2. Are there any specific calculus textbooks that are recommended for beginners?

Some highly recommended calculus textbooks for beginners include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex. These textbooks are known for their clear explanations, thorough coverage of topics, and extensive practice problems.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a beginner calculus textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a beginner calculus textbook. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and additional explanations of key concepts that can help reinforce what is covered in the textbook.

4. How important is it to have prior knowledge of algebra and trigonometry before studying calculus?

Prior knowledge of algebra and trigonometry is essential for understanding calculus. Many of the concepts in calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, build upon algebraic and trigonometric concepts. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in these subjects before diving into calculus.

5. Is it necessary to have a physical textbook or is an e-book version sufficient?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. Some people prefer the convenience and portability of an e-book, while others prefer the tactile experience of using a physical textbook. As long as the content is the same, either option can be effective for studying calculus. However, it is important to make sure that the e-book version has all the necessary features, such as interactive examples and practice problems, to aid in learning.