Any professional tutors here? Chemistry emphasis?

In summary, the speaker shares their experience of teaching one on one and in small groups, specifically mentioning their enjoyment and satisfaction with tutoring basic algebra. They then mention their interest in tutoring organic chemistry, which seems to have a high demand. They ask for advice and information on working as a tutor, including the possibility of making a decent living and finding students.
Spirochete
Of all the jobs I've held, teaching one on one or in small groups (tutoring) has been my favorite and the most rewarding. I was teaching a subject which I wasn't super excited about (basic algebra), yet I still enjoyed going to work every day.

I'm a micro/biochem major in college, but it seems like chemistry is the subject which I have both good aptitude for combined some demand for tutoring services. I'm especially interested in tutoring organic chemistry, where there conveniently seems to be the most demand. Lots of desperate pre-meds seem to have trouble with the subject.

Anybody care to share experience with this line of work? Any info is welcome. Do you work for an organization, independantly or some combination of the two? Is it hard to get steady work? I understand it's not very lucrative, but I'd hope to eventually make at least 35-40,000 a year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody do this and make a decent living? I'm also curious to hear how other tutors find their students.

I can say that tutoring is a valuable and rewarding profession. It allows you to share your knowledge and help others understand complex subjects. It is also a great opportunity to improve your own understanding and communication skills.

In terms of chemistry tutoring, organic chemistry is a challenging subject for many students, so there is definitely a demand for tutors in this area. It is great that you have identified your strengths and interests in this subject.

In terms of finding work, it can vary depending on your location and the demand for tutors in your area. You can work for an organization, independently, or a combination of both. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to carefully consider which option is best for you.

While tutoring may not be the most lucrative profession, it is certainly possible to make a decent living from it. It is important to establish a good reputation and network within your community to attract steady work. Additionally, continuously improving your skills and knowledge in the subject will make you a more valuable and in-demand tutor.

Overall, I would say that tutoring in chemistry can be a fulfilling and worthwhile career choice for those who have a passion for teaching and a strong understanding of the subject. I wish you all the best in your tutoring journey!

Related to Any professional tutors here? Chemistry emphasis?

1. What qualifications do professional tutors have in chemistry?

Professional tutors in chemistry typically have a degree in chemistry or a related field, such as biochemistry or chemical engineering. Many also have teaching experience and may hold certifications in tutoring or education.

2. How do I know if a professional chemistry tutor is right for me?

When looking for a professional chemistry tutor, it's important to consider their qualifications, experience, and teaching style. You may also want to read reviews or ask for recommendations from friends or colleagues.

3. Can a professional chemistry tutor help with specific topics or areas of difficulty?

Yes, professional chemistry tutors are often trained to help with specific topics or areas of difficulty. They can provide targeted instruction and practice to help you better understand and master challenging concepts in chemistry.

4. Are professional chemistry tutors available for online sessions?

Many professional chemistry tutors offer online tutoring sessions, which can be just as effective as in-person sessions. This allows for more flexibility and can be a great option for those who live in remote areas or have busy schedules.

5. How much do professional chemistry tutors typically charge for their services?

The cost of professional chemistry tutoring can vary depending on the tutor's qualifications, experience, and location. On average, tutors may charge anywhere from $30 to $100 per hour. Some tutors may also offer discounted rates for bulk sessions or group tutoring.