Any Legal Issues with Posting Solutions to Textbook Problems?

In summary, a person is concerned about copyright issues regarding posting solutions to physics problems from a copyrighted class text online. They are questioning whether legal ownership can be claimed over abstract concepts like physics problems. The person is advised to contact the authors of the class text to ensure that their actions do not violate any copyright laws. It is also mentioned that there may be some leniency for educational purposes, but ultimately it is unknown if this would hold up in court. The person is reminded that no legal advice can be given.
DownAndOut
Hi, all.

My friend is teaching a physics class. She personally has worked out and LaTeXed solutions to many of the problems from the class text with the intention of posting them online so students can use them to study. I'm mildly concerned that this might violate some sort of copyright since the class text is copyrighted... Do you guys know if there are any legal issues here?

I'm mostly just curious, since a physics problem is a kind of abstract thing and it seems strange that you could have legal ownership over it, but maybe you can!

Thanks and regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
She needs to contact the authors, some leniency is allowed for educational purposes, but she may be going too far. They sell solutions manuals to teachers and students are not allowed to have them, does she not have one? I assume she must not be a college professor, since should know this?

Answer: Tell her to contact the authors. We have no way of telling if what she is doing would hold up in a court of law.

We cannot give legal advice.

Related to Any Legal Issues with Posting Solutions to Textbook Problems?

What are the potential consequences of posting textbook solutions?

Posting textbook solutions without permission from the publisher or author may be a violation of copyright law. This could result in legal action being taken against the person who posted the solutions.

Can I post solutions if I have purchased the textbook?

Even if you have purchased the textbook, posting solutions without permission may still be a violation of copyright law. It is best to seek permission from the publisher or author before posting any solutions.

Is it legal to post solutions for educational purposes?

In most cases, posting solutions for educational purposes falls under fair use. However, it is best to seek permission from the publisher or author before posting any solutions to avoid any potential legal issues.

What if I cite the source of the textbook solutions?

Citing the source of the textbook solutions does not necessarily make it legal to post them. It is still important to seek permission from the publisher or author before posting any solutions to avoid any potential legal issues.

Are there any exceptions to posting textbook solutions?

In some cases, textbook solutions may be available for public use with permission from the publisher or author. It is important to check the terms of use or seek permission before posting any solutions to avoid any potential legal issues.