Any Good Sources for Learning Quantum Physics?

In summary, anything recommended to help understand quantum physics would include reading multiple articles and seeing online lessons, listening to lectures, and studying math.
Paulthevgnerd
Any recommended books, published pieces, online articles, youtube videos to help understand (or at least introduce me) Quantum Physics?

Hell, a college thesis would suffice.

Physics news on Phys.org
What can be recommended depends a lot on your background! Thus please explain...

Likes Paulthevgnerd, Demystifier and bhobba
A. Neumaier said:
What can be recommended depends a lot on your background! Thus please explain...
Well, I am a Sophomore in High School that is looking to pursue Physics as a career path, so I have been studying Physics on my own time. Read multiple articles and seen multiple online lessons in the past on multiple topics, but now I want to introduce myself to Quantum Physics, since I am interested in the discussions seen in the forum. I don't need anything dumbed down (as if you are explaining it to some random teen that can care less, I know a few ;p), just something that would ease me into the subject.

Anything else?

Paulthevgnerd said:
Well, I am a Sophomore in High School that is looking to pursue Physics as a career path, so I have been studying Physics on my own time. Read multiple articles and seen multiple online lessons in the past on multiple topics, but now I want to introduce myself to Quantum Physics, since I am interested in the discussions seen in the forum. I don't need anything dumbed down (as if you are explaining it to some random teen that can care less, I know a few ;p), just something that would ease me into the subject.

Anything else?
I am in the same position as you, though I started looking into some Quantum physics reading as a Freshman. I found Feynman's "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter," to be quite interesting and fairly easy to understand (for the topic). Here is a link to it on Amazon, and here is a link to the google books of it.
I found it in my town's library, so if you don't want to buy it, you can always check if your town has it.
I also listened to some of Feynman's lectures, here is a playlist I found on YouTube.

I would like to point out I am by no means a professional (being a sophomore myself), and am sure that someone else would be able to point you to more academic sources/methods, this is just what I looked at to start. I also should say, some of it is a bit out of date, due to how long ago it was that Feynman was around.

If you are prepared to invest some serious effort, my online book Classical and Quantum Mechanics via Lie algebras might be right for you. The book goes straight to the heart of modern quantum mechanics, skipping much of history that only detracts from the essentials, (No background in Lie algebras is assumed.)

Maybe you need to study first some math - linear algebra is essential for an understanding of QM. Chapter C4: How to learn theoretical physics of my Theoretical Physics FAQ describes the best attitude to go about finding out what precisely you need to learn when.

Dembara said:
I am in the same position as you, though I started looking into some Quantum physics reading as a Freshman. I found Feynman's "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter," to be quite interesting and fairly easy to understand (for the topic). Here is a link to it on Amazon, and here is a link to the google books of it.
I found it in my town's library, so if you don't want to buy it, you can always check if your town has it.
I also listened to some of Feynman's lectures, here is a playlist I found on YouTube.

I would like to point out I am by no means a professional (being a sophomore myself), and am sure that someone else would be able to point you to more academic sources/methods, this is just what I looked at to start. I also should say, some of it is a bit out of date, due to how long ago it was that Feynman was around.
Thanks, man! I'll buy the book on my kindle and give it a read. Interesting to see other people that are tangible to me on these forums (considering how new I am), may we run into each again. Once again, thanks

I highly recommend Susskind's 'Theoretical Minimum' series - has does a bunch of areas of physics - classical mechanics, relativity, cosmology, and loads more, and has two 10 lecture series on quantum mechanics, found here: http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses
The first series is the second down and the second series is the first in the supplemental courses catalog. There is also a third series called 'quantum entanglements', but it was made a long time ago so the quality is not great, and pretty much everything in it is covered in the first 4 or 5 lectures of the first series.
I've really enjoyed them and learned a lot in a reasonably short space of time. I find his pace and explanations spot on, in terms of technicality, as well as his attitude and enthusiasm.

Likes bhobba and Paulthevgnerd
tomdodd4598 said:
I highly recommend Susskind's 'Theoretical Minimum' series - has does a bunch of areas of physics - classical mechanics, relativity, cosmology, and loads more, and has two 10 lecture series on quantum mechanics, found here: http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses
The first series is the second down and the second series is the first in the supplemental courses catalog. There is also a third series called 'quantum entanglements', but it was made a long time ago so the quality is not great, and pretty much everything in it is covered in the first 4 or 5 lectures of the first series.
I've really enjoyed them and learned a lot in a reasonably short space of time. I find his pace and explanations spot on, in terms of technicality, as well as his attitude and enthusiasm.
Cool, great suggestion. I'll be watching the lectures soon, thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Any Good Sources for Learning Quantum Physics?

1. What is the best way to learn quantum physics?

The best way to learn quantum physics is to start with a strong foundation in classical physics and mathematics, as these are the building blocks of quantum physics. From there, it is important to read textbooks and attend lectures or online courses taught by experts in the field.

2. Are there any online resources for learning quantum physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning quantum physics, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and online courses. Some reputable sources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera.

3. Can I learn quantum physics without a background in physics?

It is possible to learn quantum physics without a background in physics, but it will be more challenging. Having a basic understanding of classical physics and mathematics is highly recommended before delving into quantum physics.

4. Are there any recommended books for learning quantum physics?

There are several highly recommended books for learning quantum physics, such as "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It is important to choose a book that is at your level and fits your learning style.

5. How long does it take to learn quantum physics?

The time it takes to learn quantum physics varies for each individual. It depends on your background knowledge, dedication, and the complexity of the material you are learning. It is a complex subject and can take months or even years to fully understand.