Any good self-teaching resources?

• Thread starter gdbb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, the person is interested in self-teaching over the summer to gain an advantage in upcoming courses, specifically in calculus 3, differential equations, linear algebra, thermodynamics, and strength of materials. They mention watching MIT online lectures but are looking for resources with example problems to practice on their own. They are also considering using Khan Academy and the Open Courseware from MIT. Another user suggests checking out a collection of self-learning materials compiled by 4chan.
gdbb
Hello,

I'm interested in self-teaching over the summer in order to gain an advantage in the courses I will take next year. The subjects in question are:

- Calculus 3 (multivariable)
- Differential Equations
- Linear Algebra
- Thermodynamics
- Strength of Materials

I know that MIT has great online lectures, which I've been watching, but I would like something that has example problems I can do on my own. I need a way to demonstrate what I've been learning, and just mulling over the concepts won't do it for me.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Khan Academy has videos on calc III, diff EQ's, and linear algebra.

Try the Open Courseware from MIT it is very good.

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Thanks
Matt

I must not be understanding your question. If you know about MIT OCW, then you must know that they have courses in all of those subjects, and many of them include solved homework assignments, quizzes, and exams. That's how MIT students "demonstrate what they've been learning," so why wouldn't it work for you?

I only knew about the lectures on YouTube -- I had no idea they had all of these other course materials. Thanks!

Related to Any good self-teaching resources?

What are some good self-teaching resources for learning a new skill?

There are many great self-teaching resources available, including online courses, instructional books, and video tutorials. Some popular options include Udemy, Coursera, Skillshare, and YouTube.

How do I know if a self-teaching resource is reputable and reliable?

Before choosing a self-teaching resource, it's important to do some research. Read reviews and ratings from other users, check the credentials of the creator or instructor, and look for any certifications or endorsements the resource may have.

What are the benefits of using self-teaching resources compared to traditional learning methods?

Self-teaching resources offer a more flexible and independent approach to learning. They allow you to learn at your own pace and choose the specific topics or skills you want to focus on. They also tend to be more affordable than traditional learning methods.

Are there any free self-teaching resources available?

Yes, there are many free self-teaching resources available. Some online platforms, like Coursera and Skillshare, offer both paid and free courses. You can also find free tutorials and instructional videos on YouTube and other websites.

How can I make the most out of using self-teaching resources?

To get the most out of self-teaching resources, it's important to set goals for yourself and stay motivated. Create a schedule for your learning, take notes, and practice regularly. It can also be helpful to join online communities or forums related to the skill you are learning to connect with others and receive support and feedback.