Answer in the back of the book is wrong?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving finding the rate at which a water level is falling in a trough with a uniform cross-section. The book's answer is (25√3)/4, but the tutor and the speaker both agree that the correct answer is (sqrt(3)/24) m/min. The conversation also mentions the volume of the trough and the units of measurement.
Jamin2112
I'm tutoring a kid in high school Calculus and his book gives an answer of (25√3)/4 for the following question.

A trough of length 6m has a uniform cross-section which is an equilateral triangle with sides of length 1. Water leaks from the bottom of the trough at a constant rate of 0.1 m3/min. Find the rate at which the water level is falling at the instant when the water is 20cm deep.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamin2112 said:
I'm tutoring a kid in high school Calculus and his book gives an answer of (25√3)/4 for the following question.

A trough of length 6m has a uniform cross-section which is an equilateral triangle with sides of length 1. Water leaks from the bottom of the trough at a constant rate of 0.1 m3/min. Find the rate at which the water level is falling at the instant when the water is 20cm deep.

What is YOUR answer? Why do you think the book'a answer is wrong?

Ray Vickson said:
What is YOUR answer? Why do you think the book'a answer is wrong?

The area of an equilateral triangle is A=h2/sqrt(3) if h is the height when it is standing on one of its tips
---->
The volume of the trough in question is defined by the equation V=6*A=6*h2/sqrt(3)
---->
dV = (12/sqrt(3))*h*dh by differentiation
---->
dh = dv*(sqrt(3)/12)*(1/dh)
--->
dh = sqrt(3)/24 when dv=0.1 and h=0.2.

Is this shoddy arithmetic by me, or am I a failure of a tutor, or both?

Jamin2112 said:
The area of an equilateral triangle is A=h2/sqrt(3) if h is the height when it is standing on one of its tips
---->
The volume of the trough in question is defined by the equation V=6*A=6*h2/sqrt(3)
---->
dV = (12/sqrt(3))*h*dh by differentiation
---->
dh = dv*(sqrt(3)/12)*(1/dh)
--->
dh = sqrt(3)/24 when dv=0.1 and h=0.2.

Is this shoddy arithmetic by me, or am I a failure of a tutor, or both?

I agree with your answer.

I'm getting the same as you for m/min (except that dh/dt is negative). Are those the units requested?

100 litres per minute is quite the leak.

Related to Answer in the back of the book is wrong?

1. Why is the answer in the back of the book wrong?

The answer in the back of the book may be wrong due to a variety of reasons. It could be a printing error, a mistake made by the author or editor, or a misinterpretation of the question. It is always important to double check your work and consult with a teacher or peer if you are unsure about an answer in the back of the book.

2. How do I know if the answer in the back of the book is wrong?

If you are confident in your understanding of the material and have followed the correct steps to solve the problem, but the answer in the back of the book does not match your answer, it is possible that the answer in the back of the book is wrong. You can also consult with a teacher or peer to confirm your answer.

3. Can I trust the answers in the back of the book?

While the answers in the back of the book are meant to be a helpful resource, they are not always 100% accurate. As mentioned before, there could be mistakes or errors present. It is always best to double check your work and seek help if needed.

4. What should I do if I find an error in the answer in the back of the book?

If you believe you have found an error in the answer in the back of the book, it is important to bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor. They can then verify the mistake and make any necessary corrections for future editions of the book.

5. Are there any other resources I can use to check my answers besides the back of the book?

Yes, there are many other resources available to check your answers, such as online answer keys, study guides, and solution manuals. You can also consult with a teacher or peer for assistance. It is always good practice to use multiple resources to ensure the accuracy of your answers.