Another work-in-progress 3D model of mine

• Thread starter ElliotSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Model
In summary: Here's an update on my project. I've finished modeling the head and now I'm working on the body.It looks like you're making good progress.Here's an update on my project. I've finished modeling the head and now I'm working on the body.It looks like you're making good progress.
ElliotSmith
Here is another work-in-progress 3D model that I made using blender.

It's the lower half of Metal Gear REX from the 1998 video game Metal Gear Solid.

https://imgur.com/a/I9zUg

I can't wait to post screenshots of the finished version of it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I was going to look at it, but the website tells me it's been deleted. :biggrin:

Drakkith said:
Well, I was going to look at it, but the website tells me it's been deleted. :biggrin:

https://imgur.com/a/QKwny

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Drakkith
Here's what I'm presently working on with Blender. Original series Colonial Viper.

vipermodel.png

Attachments

• vipermodel.png
    vipermodel.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 828
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Janus said:
Here's what I'm presently working on with Blender. Original series Colonial Viper.

View attachment 219781

Nice work!

Here is an updated version of my project. All that's left to model is the head. It's about 80% finished.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 366
ElliotSmith said:
Nice work!
Thanks.
Here is an updated version of my project. All that's left to model is the head. It's about 80% finished.
It looks like it's coming along nicely.

Janus said:
Thanks.
It looks like it's coming along nicely.

Now it's about 90% done!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 343
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 351
ElliotSmith said:
Now it's about 90% done!
Nicely done!

Here's my latest work, An Imperial AT-AT
AT-AT blender.png

Pretty much done, just needs a little detail work.

Attachments

• AT-AT blender.png
    AT-AT blender.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 369
Likes DennisN and ElliotSmith
Nice models.

A point of advice would be to bake your ambient occlusion into a texture multiplier. It'll make your model look less flat.

ElliotSmith said:
You've done a good job on this model.
I made some small detail additions for my AT-AT, added a simple environment and adjusted the lighting.
AT-AT snow.png

Attachments

• AT-AT snow.png
    AT-AT snow.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 747
Likes ElliotSmith and Greg Bernhardt
Janus said:
You've done a good job on this model.
I made some small detail additions for my AT-AT, added a simple environment and adjusted the lighting.
View attachment 220218

Here are different screenshots of my model sitting down instead of standing up.

https://imgur.com/a/OPCx8

ElliotSmith said:
Here are different screenshots of my model sitting down instead of standing up.

https://imgur.com/a/OPCx8
Have you done a full render of you model yet, or are these screenshots of the modeling view port? If you do a full render, the result can be better, plus you can choose the resolution and scale of your image. You can also save the rendered image directly without doing a screen capture.
Here's a comparison between a screenshot of the view port in the "rendered" setting and the image saved from the full render for the project I just finished (in keeping with the theme of the last model, it is a Rebel snowspeeder).
First is the screenshot.
snowspeeder2.png

And now the full render image:
SNOWSPEEDER.png

I have a habit of doing test renders as I work on my model in order to get a better feel for what the final look will be.

Quick disclaimer: While the helmets for the pilots were done in Blender, the actual pilots weren't. They were created in DAZ 3D Studio and imported as wavefront(.obj) objects. DAZ 3D has pre-loaded posable human figures which make things a lot easier than making them with Blender.

Attachments

• SNOWSPEEDER.png
    SNOWSPEEDER.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 732
  • snowspeeder2.png
    snowspeeder2.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 772
Janus said:
Have you done a full render of you model yet, or are these screenshots of the modeling view port? If you do a full render, the result can be better, plus you can choose the resolution and scale of your image. You can also save the rendered image directly without doing a screen capture.
Here's a comparison between a screenshot of the view port in the "rendered" setting and the image saved from the full render for the project I just finished (in keeping with the theme of the last model, it is a Rebel snowspeeder).
First is the screenshot.
View attachment 220391
And now the full render image:
View attachment 220390

I have a habit of doing test renders as I work on my model in order to get a better feel for what the final look will be.

Quick disclaimer: While the helmets for the pilots were done in Blender, the actual pilots weren't. They were created in DAZ 3D Studio and imported as wavefront(.obj) objects. DAZ 3D has pre-loaded posable human figures which make things a lot easier than making them with Blender.

Yeah, here is the final textured version of it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qYDgg

Likes Janus
Likes ElliotSmith

Related to Another work-in-progress 3D model of mine

1. What inspired you to create this 3D model?

I was inspired by the intricate and beautiful designs found in nature, particularly in plants and animals. I wanted to challenge myself to create a model that captures the complexity and detail of these natural forms.

2. How long does it take to create a 3D model like this?

The time it takes to create a 3D model varies depending on the complexity of the design and the software being used. However, on average, it can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks to complete a high-quality 3D model.

3. What software do you use to create your 3D models?

I use a variety of software, including Blender, Maya, and ZBrush, to create my 3D models. Each software has its own strengths and capabilities, so I like to use a combination of them to achieve the best results.

4. Can you explain your process for creating a 3D model?

My process usually begins with sketching out my design on paper, followed by creating a basic 3D model using primitive shapes in the software. From there, I refine and add details to the model, using various tools and techniques, until I am satisfied with the final result.

5. Do you have any tips for aspiring 3D modelers?

My biggest tip would be to practice, practice, practice! 3D modeling is a skill that takes time and dedication to develop. Also, don't be afraid to experiment and push yourself out of your comfort zone. And most importantly, have fun with it!