Another volume by cross section.

In summary, the base of a solid is a triangular region bounded by the y-axis and lines x+2y=4 and x-2y=4. The volume of this solid is found by taking the integral of (1/2)(y2-y1)^2 with respect to x, where y2= 2-(1/2)x and y1= -2+(1/2)x. The cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis are isosceles right triangles with hypotenuse on the xy-plane, making the angles pi/4 radians. The correct integral is \int_{x=0}^4(1/2)(4-x)^2/(\sqrt{2})^2 with A(x
Call my name
The base of a solid is the triangular region bounded by the y-axis and the lines x + 2y = 4, x - 2y =4. Find the volume of the solid given that the cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis are isosceles right triangles with hypotenuse on the xy-plane.

So what I did is:

[tex]2\int_{x=0}^2 (4-2y)^2/(\sqrt{2})^2*1/2[/tex]

I set [tex]A(x) = (4-2y)^2/(\sqrt{2})^2*1/2[/tex]

and it comes from 1/2 * base * height.

I assumed that the other two angles when the hypotenuse is 4-2y to be pi/4. I do not know why it is pi/4. I researched this forum and found out that it is supposed to be like that.

However, the answer is wrong, so what did I do wrong here?
(and why do you assume that the two angles are pi/4 ?)

Thanks for reading, and thank all of you who answered my previous question.

Physics news on Phys.org
How in the world did you get that integral? I can see that "4- 2y" is from the line x+ 2y= 4, but why are you not using the other line, x- 2y= 4, which is equivalent to x= 4+2y? And I have no idea how you got that "[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]" in there!

Since you are told that the cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis are isosceles right triangles, you need their "thickness" along the x-axis and so should be integrating with respect to x, not y.

The top line is given by y2= 2- (1/2)x and the bottom line by y1= -2+ (1/2)x. One the lengths of the legs of the triangles are given by the difference of those two y, y2-y1, values at each x. The area of such a triangle is, of course (1/2)(y2-y1)2. The volume of each "slab" is that are times the thickness, dx. That is what you integrate.

assumed that the other two angles when the hypotenuse is 4-2y to be pi/4. I do not know why it is pi/4. I researched this forum and found out that it is supposed to be like that.
You were told that the triangles were isosceles right triangles. That means that the two legs are the same length and, therefore, that the two base angles are the same. Since any triangle has angles summing to [itex]\pi[/itex] radians and one angle you know is \(\displaystyle \pi/2[/itex], that leaves [itex]\pi- \pi/2= \pi/2[/itex] radians for the other two angles. And since they are the same, each is [itex](\pi/2)/2= \pi/4[/itex] radians. Of course, you don't need to know those angles for this problem.\)

Yes. How in the world did I get that equation? That is so wrong... It is so obvious for the isosceles right triangle to have two angles same...

However, according to your answer,
y2-y1 = 4-x &[tex]\int_{x=0}^4(1/2)(4-x)^2[/tex]

This is wrong. [tex](4-x)^2[/tex] is supposed to be hypotenuse so the

correct integral is:

[tex]\int_{x=0}^4(1/2)(4-x)^2/(\sqrt{2})^2[/tex]

with [tex]A(x) = ((4-x)/\sqrt{2})^2[/tex]

Thank you.

Related to Another volume by cross section.

1. What is another volume by cross section?

Another volume by cross section is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape by slicing it into cross sections and then summing the areas of those sections.

2. How is another volume by cross section different from regular volume?

Regular volume is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of a three-dimensional shape, while another volume by cross section involves slicing the shape into cross sections and summing their areas.

3. What types of shapes can be measured using another volume by cross section?

Another volume by cross section can be used to measure the volume of any three-dimensional shape, including prisms, cylinders, cones, and spheres.

4. What is the formula for calculating another volume by cross section?

The formula for calculating another volume by cross section is V = ∫ A(x) dx, where V is the volume, A(x) is the area of the cross section at a given point x, and dx is the infinitesimal width of the cross section.

5. What real-world applications does another volume by cross section have?

Another volume by cross section has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of tunnels, pipes, and other irregularly shaped structures. It is also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics.