Another pulley problem, but on an incline

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the tension in a system where a horizontal box is connected to a smaller box on a decline. The conversation also mentions that all surfaces, strings, and pulleys are ideal. The solution involves finding the tension and acceleration using equations and understanding the relationship between them. The conversation ends with the person expressing their gratitude for finally understanding the solution.
murphy
There is this question that I feel like it should be easy, but I can't get the right answer. There is a box sitting on a horizontal surface attached to another box that is sitting on a "decline" The horizontal box is bigger than the other one. a horizontal force is applied to the horizontal box. how do i find the tension in the system? (all surfaces, strings, pulleys, etc, are ideal). I understand that the tension is the same in both strings and that the acceleration (if there is any) is the same, but I don't know how to use that because I can only do the pulley systems that are 90 degrees to each other!what happens when the acceleration and tension are in components?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What i understan in your problem is one block is placed on the horizontal table and other one is down the decline plane of it, if it is so then it could be easily solved as bellow, otherwise give me a daigram of it.
Let 'f' be the force applied horizontly, 't' be the tension, m be mass of block on horizontal and (m') is of the other
f - t= ma .. 1 'a' is the acceleration due to the force applied
t - m'gsinx = m'a 'x' is the angle of the inclined plane
adding
f - m'gsinx = (m + m')a
calculate 'a', substitute its value in (1)

Thank your so much! It finally makes sense!

Related to Another pulley problem, but on an incline

1. How do you calculate the tension in a pulley system on an incline?

The tension in a pulley system on an incline can be calculated by using the formula T = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational acceleration, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system on an incline is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the tension in the system also increases.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the tension in a pulley system on an incline?

The coefficient of friction has a direct impact on the tension in a pulley system on an incline. As the coefficient of friction increases, the tension also increases due to the added resistance against the movement of the object on the incline.

4. Can the tension in a pulley system on an incline ever be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the tension in a pulley system on an incline can be greater than the weight of the object. This can happen when the angle of the incline is steep and the coefficient of friction is high.

5. How does the addition of multiple pulleys affect the tension in a pulley system on an incline?

The addition of multiple pulleys in a system on an incline can decrease the tension required to move the object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed over multiple pulleys, reducing the overall force needed to lift the object.