Pulleys, Pulleys, and More Pulleys

• Thread starter NekotoKoara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of pulley systems and the potential forces and safe working loads involved. The speaker also seeks guidance on how to address potential issues with the metal casing and asks for resources on understanding the physics of breaking points of materials.
NekotoKoara
Ok so I will attach an image of two pulley systems. The one on the right is straight forward. Both forces are vertical so the force pulling down on the pulley is easy to figure out. The one on the left makes me a bit more confused. For the one on the left I was wondering if the combined vertical and horizontal forces would place a force in the diagonal direction (at a 45 degree angle?) on both pulleys towards the center of the system? If so how exactly would I figure out how this plays into the pulleys' safe working loads? Thanks for any guidance you can provide. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 456
NekotoKoara said:
if the combined vertical and horizontal forces would place a force in the diagonal direction (at a 45 degree angle?)
Yes, which would move them to the center, if they are hanging on ropes from the ceiling.

NekotoKoara said:
If so how exactly would I figure out how this plays into the pulleys' safe working loads?
Forces are vectors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector#Addition_and_subtraction

Likes NekotoKoara
A.T. said:
Yes, which would move them to the center, if they are hanging on ropes from the ceiling.

Cool. Now what if they are inside a metal casing that is bolted to the ceiling? Would I just ignore the horizontal and vertical forces and just use their combined diagonal force when it comes to the pulleys' safe working load?

NekotoKoara said:
Cool. Now what if they are inside a metal casing that is bolted to the ceiling? Would I just ignore the horizontal and vertical forces and just use their combined diagonal force when it comes to the pulleys' safe working load?
For the pulleys, yes.

But for the metal casing that is bolted to the ceiling, it does matter which direction you pull, not just the magnitude of the total force.

Likes NekotoKoara
A.T. said:
For the pulleys, yes.

But for the metal casing that is bolted to the ceiling, it does matter which direction you pull, not just the magnitude of the total force.

Thanks for your guidance. I have a friend who is building a pulley system that is using pulleys in the configuration of the left system I posted. Would you happen to know of any online resource that I could read that address the potential issues that could arise with the metal casing?

NekotoKoara said:
Would you happen to know of any online resource that I could read that address the potential issues that could arise with the metal casing?
Potential issue is that the metal casing or it's attachment from the ceiling breaks.

A.T. said:
Potential issue is that the metal casing or it's attachment from the ceiling breaks.

That I am aware of lol. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was do you have resources in mind that discuss the physics of breaking points of materials that I could read so I can become more familiar with to how to address these types of issues? I am not a physics student so I am teaching myself all of this stuff and at times have a hard time finding online resources to help me understand certain concepts. Any suggestions you have would be very appreciated :-)

NekotoKoara said:
That I am aware of lol. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was do you have resources in mind that discuss the physics of breaking points of materials that I could read so I can become more familiar with to how to address these types of issues?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_analysis

Likes NekotoKoara

Related to Pulleys, Pulleys, and More Pulleys

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that fits into the groove. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by changing the direction of the force needed to move the object.

How do pulleys work?

Pulleys work by increasing the effective force needed to lift an object. The rope or belt is looped around the pulley, which changes the direction of the force needed to lift the object. By using multiple pulleys and ropes, the force needed to lift an object can be spread out and reduced.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the object being moved and reduce the amount of force needed. Compound pulleys use a combination of fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage even further.

What are some real-life applications of pulleys?

Pulleys are used in many everyday objects and machines, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. They are also used in more complex systems, such as in construction and manufacturing industries, to lift and move heavy objects. In addition, pulleys are used in sailing to adjust and control the sails.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using pulleys?

The main advantage of using pulleys is that they can reduce the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. This makes it easier and safer for humans to handle heavy objects. However, the use of pulleys also introduces friction, which can reduce the efficiency of the system. In addition, pulleys require careful maintenance to ensure they continue to work properly.