Another possible typo in "Cálculo", by Robert A. Adams

• Calculus
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a diagram in a book that is meant to be 3D, but was not clear to some readers. The phrase "thou shalt not" was used in a playful and humorous way to express disapproval. The phrase is from the King James Bible and is also commonly used in Shakespeare's plays.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
I am almost sure, but want to check out. This is the statement of the example at the Spanish 6th edition:
Example 4 At a certain moment an aeroplane flying to the East at 400 km/h passes directly over a car traveling to the Southwest at 100 km/h on a straight road with no slopes (...)

Shouldn't be the car traveling to the Southeast, regarding the provided diagram?

20210925_141317.jpg

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Notice that the diagram is 3d.

Likes mcastillo356
Did M.C. Escher draw the diagram?? It kept flipping on me...

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, Frabjous and mcastillo356
Well, I didn't realize that it was meant to be 3D in the first place. Though shalt not make (bad) images!

Likes mcastillo356
vanhees71 said:
Well, I didn't realize that it was meant to be 3D in the first place. Though shalt not make (bad) images!
Sorry, what means though shalt? I find "thou shalt"; it's a nice and cute expression at Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, meaning "you shall", used when talking to a person. I understand the second sentence as a beautiful and kind disapproval.

Obviously, it should be "thou" (even the greatest make typos, as we found out in one of the neighboring threads). "Thou shalt not" is a typical formula with which many of the ten commandments (in King James Bible) begin (the words and grammar are, of course, outdated nowadays, but familiar to most natives due to enduring popularity of this version of the translation of the Bible).

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
... and from Shakespeare. As in:

This above all: to thine own self be true
And it must follow, as the night the day
Thou canst not then be false to any man
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!”

Likes vanhees71 and mcastillo356

Related to Another possible typo in "Cálculo", by Robert A. Adams

1. What is the typo in "Cálculo" by Robert A. Adams?

The typo in "Cálculo" by Robert A. Adams is a missing accent mark in the word "cálculo" in the title.

2. How was the typo discovered?

The typo was discovered by a reader who noticed the missing accent mark and brought it to the attention of the author and publisher.

3. Has the typo been corrected?

Yes, the typo has been corrected in newer editions of the book.

4. Does the typo affect the content of the book?

No, the typo does not affect the content of the book. It is simply a minor error in spelling.

5. Are there any other typos in the book?

As with any published work, there may be other minor typos in the book. However, the missing accent mark in the title is the only known typo in "Cálculo" by Robert A. Adams.