Another One Dimensional Motion Problem

In summary, the conversation involves finding the time and height at which a rock and a ball thrown vertically upwards with different initial speeds will collide. The problem is approached using the equation X = Xo + Vot + 2^-1 a t^2 and considering the accelerations to be negative when the distances are positive. The final result is a time of 0.3989 seconds for the collision to occur.
pointintime

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 12.0 s^-1 m. Exactly 1.00 s later, a ball is thrown up vertically along the same path with a speed of 20.0 s^-1 m.

(a) At what time will they strike each other?

(b) At what height will the collision occur?

(c) Answer (a) and (b) assuming that the rder is reversed: the ball is trown 1.00 s before thr ock.

Homework Equations

X = Xo + Vot + 2^-1 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start this problem
were the 1 subscripts are the first object that went off and the twos are the second object
t1 = t2 - 1.00s

plugged in

Xo + Vo1 t1 + 2^-1 a t1^2

Xo + Vo1 (t2 - 1.00 s) + 2^-1 a (t2 - 1.00)^2

solved for t2 found 1 second...

Physics news on Phys.org
if i consider there velocities to be positive do i have to make there accelerations negative?

do they collide at 2.152 s + 1.00 s ?

not sure if that's right...

Hi pointintime! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
pointintime said:
if i consider there velocities to be positive do i have to make there accelerations negative?

If you consider distance upward to be positive, then yes, you have to make the accelerations negative. :smile:

(and if you want us to check your result, do show the whole calculation! :wink:)

how do you recommend i solve it

pointintime said:
how do you recommend i solve it

The method you're using looks fine :smile:

what's worrying you about it? :confused:

X1 = X2
sense they collide

t1 = t2
point at which the collide

t1 = t2 - 1.00 s

X1 = Xo + Vo t + 2^-1 a t^2

X1 = (12.0 s^-1 m)t1 + 2^-1 (9.80 s^-2 m)t1^2

sense
t1 = t2 - 1.00 s

X1 = (12.0 s^-1 m)(t2 - 1.00 s) + 2^-1 (9.80 s^-2 m)(t2 - 1.00 s)^2
X1 = (12. 0 s^-1 m)t2 - 12.0 m + 2^-1 (9.80 s^-2 m)(t2^2 + 1.00 s^2 - 2 t2 1.00s)
X1 = (12. 0 s^-1 m)t2 - 12.0 m + (4.90 s^-2 m)(t2^2 + 1.00 s^2 - t2 2.00s)
X1 = (12. 0 s^-1 m)t2 - 12.0 m + (4.90 s^-2 m)t2^2 + 4.90 m - (9.80 s^-1 m)t2
X1 = (4.90 s^-2 m)t2^2 + (2.2 s^-1 m) - 7.1 m

sense X1 = X2

(4.90 s^-2 m)t2^2 + (2.2 s^-1 m) - 7.1 m = Xo + Vo t2 + 2^-1 a t2^2
(4.90 s^-2 m)t2^2 + (2.2 s^-1 m) - 7.1 m = (20.0 s^-1 m) t2 + 2^-1 (9.80 s^-2 m) t2^2
(4.90 s^-2 m)t2^2 + (2.2 s^-1 m) - 7.1 m - (20.0 s^-1 m) t2 -(4.90 s^-2 m) t2^2
(17.8 s^-1 m)t2 - 7.1 m

what now?
let me guess I did it wrong

(17.8 s^-1 m)t2 - 7.1 m = 0
(17.8 s^-1 m)t2 = 7.1 m
t2 = .3989 s

what does that mean?

can someone check my work i probably did it wrong and if i didn't i don't know what to do from there

pointintime said:
can someone check my work i probably did it wrong and if i didn't i don't know what to do from there

Well, it's bit difficult to read (please use the X2 tag in future), but the method looks ok,

except (i thought you agreed on this) the acceleration needs to be negative. :rolleyes:

It does have to be negative?
If I consider it to be positive does it miss anything up

pointintime said:
It does have to be negative?
If I consider it to be positive does it miss anything up

Yeees! …

if your 12 and 20 are positive, then your 9.8 must be negative (or vice versa). :wink:

what's up for velocity must be up for acceleration!​

Related to Another One Dimensional Motion Problem

1. What is one-dimensional motion?

One-dimensional motion is the movement of an object along a straight line, such as a horizontal or vertical path. This type of motion can be described using only one coordinate axis, usually the x-axis.

2. What are the key factors that affect one-dimensional motion?

The key factors that affect one-dimensional motion are initial position, velocity, acceleration, and time. These variables determine the path, speed, and direction of the object's motion.

3. How is one-dimensional motion different from two or three-dimensional motion?

One-dimensional motion is different from two or three-dimensional motion because it only involves movement along a single straight line. Two-dimensional motion involves movement in two directions, while three-dimensional motion involves movement in three directions.

4. How can we calculate the displacement of an object in one-dimensional motion?

The displacement of an object in one-dimensional motion can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position. This gives us the change in position or the distance traveled by the object.

5. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity in one-dimensional motion?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of the object at a specific moment in time. In one-dimensional motion, average velocity is constant if the acceleration is zero, but instantaneous velocity can change at any given point.