Another introductory calc problem

In summary, the slope of the secant between points a, f(a) and b, f(b) is equal to the average of the derivative at a and b. For polynomial functions, this approximation is accurate; however, the difference between the two sides of the equation increases with increasing distance between the points.
Fifty
Given a function f(x), I'm wondering if the slope of the secant between points a, f(a) and b, f(b) is equal to the average of the derivative at a and b.

Mathematically, I want to know whether:

[itex]\frac{f(a) - f(b)}{a - b}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{f'(a) + f'(b)}{2}[/itex]

is true. I can see that it is for polynomial functions, but I can't seem to prove this relationship for a general function, f(x).

This isn't homework, I'm just curious. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about Taylor series expansions yet?

Chet

You could try to come up with a counter-example.
Also think about what "average" means.

If you have a proof for all polynomials, then can you apply the proof to any arbitrary sum of polynomials?
Can you write an arbitrary function as a sum of polynomials?
[Chester beat me to it]

Notes:
http://homepage.math.uiowa.edu/~idarcy/COURSES/25/2_7.pdf

Chestermiller said:
Have you learned about Taylor series expansions yet?

Chet
Nope. I was literally just introduced to calculus four weeks ago.

EDIT: It's late here, I'm going to have a look at this thread tomorrow (and the comments already posted).

In a nutshell ... any function f(x) can be written as a sum like this:
$$f(x)=a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+\cdots $$

If you already have a proof that applies to polynomials - you can apply it to that.

Fifty said:
Nope. I was literally just introduced to calculus four weeks ago.

Your relation is not exact. It is a good approximation, but the difference between the two sides of the relationship increases with increasing distance between the two points a and b.

Chet

[tex]f(a)=f(b)-(b-a)f'(b)+\frac{(b-a)2}{2}f''(b) + ...[/tex]
[tex]f(b)=f(a)+(b-a)f'(a)+\frac{(b-a)2}{2}f''(a) + ...[/tex]
Subtracting:
[tex]2(f(b)-f(a))=(b-a)(f'(a)+f'(b))-\frac{(b-a)2}{2}(f''(b)-f''(a))+...[/tex]
Or,
[tex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}=\frac{f'(a)+f'(b)}{2}-\frac{(b-a)}{4}(f''(b)-f''(a))+...[/tex]
A better approximation is:
[tex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}≈f'\left(\frac{a+b}{2}\right)[/tex]
This relation is exact if f is quadratic.

Chet

Related to Another introductory calc problem

1. What is the purpose of an introductory calculus problem?

An introductory calculus problem is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and techniques of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It allows students to practice applying these concepts in a structured and simplified setting before moving on to more complex problems.

2. What are the most common types of problems included in an introductory calculus course?

The most common types of problems in an introductory calculus course include finding limits, calculating derivatives, and solving simple integrals. These problems may involve algebraic, trigonometric, or exponential functions and may require the use of various calculus rules and formulas.

3. How should I approach an introductory calculus problem?

When approaching an introductory calculus problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the given problem, identify the relevant concepts and formulas, and then apply them correctly to reach a solution. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps and check your work as you go along.

4. Are there any tips for solving introductory calculus problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving introductory calculus problems more efficiently include practicing regularly, familiarizing yourself with common calculus rules and formulas, and breaking the problem down into smaller, manageable steps. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept.

5. How important is it to understand introductory calculus for future math and science courses?

A strong understanding of introductory calculus is crucial for success in future math and science courses, especially those related to engineering, physics, and economics. Many of the concepts and techniques learned in introductory calculus are used extensively in these fields, and a solid foundation in this subject can make learning more advanced topics much easier.