Need Help With Tessellation Project

• Thread starter apegod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, for this project, you will create a tessellation by translating or rotating a square and repeating the process at least 10 times on an 8 1/2" X 11" paper. To make this, you start with a square, cut a piece out, and stick it on the opposite side. Repeat this process until the shapes fit together. A helpful resource with pictures can be found at the provided link. Additionally, for the project, you will need to have at least 10 repetitions of the pattern on the paper.
apegod
For this project i have create a tesselation that either translates or rotates. There must be a mininmum of 10 repetitions of the pattern and done on a 8 1/2" X 11" paper. How do i go about making this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You start with a square, you cut a piece out, and you stick it on the opposite side. Rinse and repeat. They'll fit together.

A quick google search yielded the same thing, but with pictures!
http://www.punahou.edu/acad/sanders/geometrypages/GP08CreatingTessellations.html

cookiemonster

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks..it says at least 10 repetitions, does that mean cutting it out and sticking on the opposite side 10x or just at least 10 of those figures on a piece of paper

I think they mean you need at least ten of the shapes on the piece of paper.

cookiemonster

What is a tessellation?

A tessellation is a repeating pattern of geometric shapes that covers a surface without any gaps or overlaps. It is also known as a tiling or a mosaic.

What is the purpose of a tessellation project?

The purpose of a tessellation project is to explore the mathematical concept of tessellations and create unique and visually appealing designs using various shapes and patterns.

How do I start a tessellation project?

To start a tessellation project, you should first choose a shape or motif that you want to use in your design. Then, you can experiment with different ways to repeat and rotate the shape to create a tessellating pattern. You can also use software or grid paper to help you with the design process.

What materials do I need for a tessellation project?

You will need paper or cardstock, scissors, glue, and any additional materials you want to use for embellishment such as markers or colored pencils. You can also use digital tools like design software or apps if you prefer to create your tessellation digitally.

Can I use any shape for a tessellation?

Yes, you can use any shape for a tessellation as long as it can be repeated and rotated to cover a surface without any gaps or overlaps. Some common shapes used in tessellations include squares, triangles, and hexagons, but you can also use more complex shapes such as animals or objects in your design.