Another conservation of energy problem(I think)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a ball attached to a rope swinging around a circle of radius 0.8m. The question is asking for the position of the peg P in order for the ball to reach point C. The conversation also discusses the amount of work required to stop the ball at point B, taking into account air resistance. The equations used are 1/2mv12+mgy1=1/2mv22+mgy2 and Wtotal=K2-K1. The solution for part B involves using the conservation of angular momentum and calculating the potential energy at each point.
qball1982
So I have another problem that I'm having some issues with.

Homework Statement

A ball attached to a massless rope is allowed to swing around a circle of radius r=0.8m. When the ball reaches point B, the horizontal rope hits the peg P causing the ball to swing around a smaller circle.

physicsproblem.jpg

A.)If the ball is started at A with a speed of 6m/s, at what position x should the peg P be placed to allow the ball to just make it past the point C. Hint: Rope tension at C will be zero, the rope remains straight at point C, and ignore air resistance.

B.) If there were air resistance, how much work would be required for it to stop the ball at point B? Assume m=2.2kg.

Homework Equations

A. 1/2mv12+mgy1=1/2mv22+mgy2
arad=v2/r
vmin2=rg or r=vmin2/g
B.Wtotal= K2-K1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated the value of v at point B by using:
1/2mv12+mgy1=1/2mv2
v=4.508m/s

But I don't know how to get from point B to C.

B.) I used Wtotal=K2-K1
Wtotal=-39.6
air resistance=-39.6-(-9.8*0.8)=-31.76 J
Is that a correct way to work part B?

Physics news on Phys.org
You gave yourself a big hint when you picked a title for this thread. Without air restance, the energy (kinetic plus potential) will be the same at points A, B, and C. Think about what the kinetic and potential energy is at each of three points.

But you might also think about conservation of angular momentum here...

I guess I'm having issues with trying to calculate the potential energy at point c since I won't have the value of y or v. The only thing I can think of is using the conservation of momentum which then I can say that the mass going from point b to c would yield v1=v2. Is it correct to assume that?

Related to Another conservation of energy problem(I think)

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to real-world situations?

Conservation of energy applies to all physical processes, from simple everyday activities such as walking or cooking to complex systems like the Earth's climate. It is a universal principle that governs how energy is transferred and transformed in all systems.

3. Can energy be lost or wasted?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost or wasted. It can only be transformed into a different form or transferred from one system to another.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics and has been tested and proven to hold true in all known scenarios. However, in quantum mechanics, energy can appear to be created or destroyed due to the uncertainty principle, but it is still conserved in the overall system.

5. How is energy conserved in an isolated system?

In an isolated system, which has no external forces acting on it, the total amount of energy remains constant. This means that the initial amount of energy in the system will be equal to the final amount of energy, even if the energy is transformed from one form to another.