Conservation of Energy of a System

In summary, the problem involves a system with two masses, m1 and m2, connected by a rope over a pulley with a mass of 5kg and a radius of 0.3m. The initial masses are m1 = 10kg and m2 = 30kg, and there is a kinetic friction of 0.1 between m2 and the table. Using conservation of energy, the final velocities of m1 and m2 after m1 falls by 2m can be found. The final velocity of m1 is 2.65m/s, and the final velocity of m2 is equal to this. The angular acceleration of the pulley is found to be 8.83rads/
Clementine

Homework Statement

:[/B]
There is a system, beginning from rest, with two masses, m1 and m2. M1 is on a table and attached to a rope that goes over a pulley (that is NOT massless)and attaches to hanging mass m1. Between m2 and the table there is a friction(kinetic) of 0.1
M1=10kg
M2=30kg
Mass of pulley=5kg and the Radius of the pulley is 0.3m.
Using conservation of energy, find, after m1 falls by 2m, the final velocity of m1 and the final velocity of m2. Also, find the angular acceleration of the pulley.

Homework Equations

:[/B]
For kinetic energy:
K1=1/2 mv^2
K2=1/2 mv^2
And Kpulley= 1/2 Iw^2
For potential energy:
Ep=mgh
For work:
Wtotal=change in kinetic energy
W=m*d
W of gravity= negative change in potential energy

3. My attempt at this problem:
So since everything is attached together, I believe the final velocities 1 and 2 will be equal. By this reasoning, the final angular velocity of the pulley would be equal to the other velocities by the formula V= R(radius of pulley)*w
I used the Wtotal= deltaK and I plugged in all the forces relating to translational motion. However I wasn't sure if the tensions canceled out. I assumed they did and therefore found The final velocity to be 2.65m/s. Then I used the formula Vf=R*wf and thus for the final angular momentum I to 8.83rads/second.
I think perhaps I should have somehow incorporated the rotational motion into it more, not just at the end. However, I was not quite sure how.

Thank you for taking time to help :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the pulley going to accelerate if the tensions are the same?

Related to Conservation of Energy of a System

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

How does the conservation of energy apply to a system?

In a closed system, the total energy remains constant. This means that the energy can be transferred between different forms (such as kinetic, potential, thermal, etc.) but the total amount of energy remains the same.

What is an example of the conservation of energy in a system?

An example of the conservation of energy in a system is a swinging pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the potential energy at the top of the swing is converted to kinetic energy at the bottom and back again. The total energy of the system (pendulum + Earth) remains constant.

How does the conservation of energy relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is essentially an extension of the law of conservation of energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This is in line with the idea that the total energy of a closed system remains constant.

Why is the conservation of energy important in scientific research?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in science and is important because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of various systems, from simple mechanical systems to complex chemical reactions. It also allows us to design and optimize energy-efficient processes and technologies.