Another aggravating kinematics problem - regarding stones

In summary, the two stones were dropped off a 144 foot cliff, with the second stone being thrown one second later. They both hit the water at the same time. The question is asking for the initial velocity of the second stone, which is calculated to be 10.9 ft/second. The mistake in the calculation was not converting the units correctly, as the correct value for gravitational acceleration is 32 ft/s2.
OVB
A stone is DROPPED off a 144 foot cliff. A second later, another stone is THROWN off that cliff. The two hit the water at the same exact instant. What is the initial velocity of the second stone?

The answer is 40 ft/second according to my book, but for some reason, I never get that.

I set 4.9t^2 = v*(t-1) + 4.9(t-1)^2
I also set 144 = 4.9t^2 to get t = 5.421.

I plug this back into the first equation, and my answer comes out to 10.908 ft/ sec!

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
youve got the gravitational acceleration wrong...im pretty sure its not 4.9f/s^2...if its 9.8m/s^2

its approximately 32.2 f/s^2

OVB said:
A stone is DROPPED off a 144 foot cliff. A second later, another stone is THROWN off that cliff. The two hit the water at the same exact instant. What is the initial velocity of the second stone?

The answer is 40 ft/second according to my book, but for some reason, I never get that.

I set 4.9t^2 = v*(t-1) + 4.9(t-1)^2
I also set 144 = 4.9t^2 to get t = 5.421.

I plug this back into the first equation, and my answer comes out to 10.908 ft/ sec!

What am I doing wrong here?

Interesting, I get the same answer. From the equation of displacement for the first rock we get t = 5.42 seconds. The time of 'flight' of the second stone must be 4.42 seconds. So, x2(t)=v0*4.42+0.5*9.81*4.42^2=144 implies v0=10.9 ft/second.

OHHH darn I forgot to convert the units. Silly me :P

OVB said:
OHHH darn I forgot to convert the units. Silly me :P

The one and only unit for length is [m] is a perfect world. :smile:

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2 or 32 ft/s2. QuantumKing, remember that the coefficient of t2 in the distance formula is g/2! 4.9t2 would be correct in the metric system, 16t2 is correct in the imperial system.

Related to Another aggravating kinematics problem - regarding stones

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is an aggravating kinematics problem?

An aggravating kinematics problem is a problem that is difficult or frustrating to solve due to its complexity or lack of clear instructions.

How do stones relate to kinematics problems?

In kinematics problems, stones are often used as objects to study the motion of. For example, a stone being thrown or dropped can be used to understand the principles of kinematics.

What are some common challenges when solving kinematics problems involving stones?

Some common challenges when solving kinematics problems involving stones include accounting for air resistance, determining initial velocity, and dealing with irregular or changing motion.

What are some strategies for solving kinematics problems involving stones?

Some strategies for solving kinematics problems involving stones include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using equations and formulas, and visualizing the motion using diagrams or graphs.