Anonymous online psychological couseling.

• Thread starter MishaFreeman
  • Start date
In summary: The friend is intelligent and has potential, but he is not taking advantage of that potential. He sometimes shares snippets of writing with me that are excellent, but he has never actually written anything down and says he is working on it. I have given him advice on a variety of subjects and he has always been willing to help out. I cannot think of any good resources for him to get help. If he really feels that he has a problem, he should see a real life doctor.
MishaFreeman
I have a friend of infancy that I see perhaps twice a year and although his life is seemingly emotionally and socially stable, he has confided several times through the years that he suffers from a tremendous ineptitude to take action in his life, I don't know how to talk to him, how to give him advice or even what sort of advice should I give him.

He is an extremely intelligent person which makes the more difficult, for me at least, to have a concise conversation with him and get to the bottom of his potential problem.

He sometimes shares with me scattered paragraphs of writing that I think are absolutely phenomenal, and when I ask him if he has ever considered writing a book or about channeling his talent, he always replies that he's working on it, the thing is, I have known him for over 25 years and he has always used that same "excuse", he has a tremendous potential to achieve great things, yet he is working in a low paying job and just goes through the motions.

Whenever I need advice for something, from a business to a certain technical problem, he always knows how to answer me and give great advice which always results on something positive.

But he never actually produces anything for himself, we are talking about a person that has everything to be great at something, either from a creative endeavour to a business venture but never actually does anything in that direction, and from what I can gather, not because he is lazy or does not want to do it, but rather because, it seems to me, there is something limiting him in his mind.

What sort of advice could I give a person such as this, is there a site or a forum that I could suggest him to get some potential help or advice in this regard?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really feel that he has a mental or emotional problem, tell him to seek professional help with a real life psychologist or psychiatrist. DO NOT refer him to some internet forum! There is no way someone on the internet can diagnose him. Seemingly harmless advice can cause serious problems.

Even here we do not attempt to diagnose or give advice other than see a doctor.

Related to Anonymous online psychological couseling.

What is anonymous online psychological counseling?

Anonymous online psychological counseling is a type of therapy that is conducted through digital platforms, such as chat rooms, video calls, or messaging services. It allows individuals to receive mental health support from a licensed therapist without revealing their identity.

Is anonymous online psychological counseling effective?

There is evidence that supports the effectiveness of anonymous online psychological counseling. Studies have shown that it can be just as effective as traditional face-to-face therapy, especially for those who have difficulty accessing in-person services due to barriers such as distance or stigma.

How does anonymous online psychological counseling work?

Anonymous online psychological counseling typically involves an initial assessment and screening process, followed by regular sessions with a licensed therapist. The sessions can take place through various digital platforms and may include a combination of text-based communication, video calls, and other tools to facilitate the therapeutic process.

Is anonymous online psychological counseling safe?

Like any form of therapy, there are potential risks involved. However, reputable online counseling platforms take precautions to ensure the safety and privacy of their clients. This may include secure communication channels, strict confidentiality policies, and trained therapists who adhere to professional ethics and standards.

What are the benefits of anonymous online psychological counseling?

Some potential benefits of anonymous online psychological counseling include increased accessibility, convenience, and the ability to receive support from the comfort and privacy of one's own home. It may also be a more affordable option for those who are unable to access traditional therapy due to financial barriers.