Angular speed in terms magnetic field

In summary, we are given a problem where a particle with magnetic dipole moment μ and spin angular momentum S is immersed in a magnetic field B. We are asked to find the precession angular speed Ωp in terms of the properties of the particle and the magnetic field. Using Newton's Second Law for rotation, we can derive the equation Ωp = Bμ/S, where B is the magnitude of the magnetic field, μ is the magnetic moment, and S is the spin angular momentum.
sept26bc

Homework Statement

3. A particle with magnetic dipole moment of magnitude μ (be careful—this is not a magnetic
permeability) and spin angular momentum of magnitude S is immersed in a magnetic field
of magnitude B. For simplicity, assume that the spin and magnetic-moment vectors (which
are either in the same or opposite directions) are perpendicular to the magnetic field. The
particle will precess, i.e., its spin angular momentum vector will rotate about the direction
of the magnetic field, with angular speed Ωp.
Find Ωp, in terms of the properties of the particle and the magnetic field. HINT: Remember
that Newton’s Second Law for rotation states that the torque equals the rate of change of
angular momentum.

Homework Equations

I did have to substitute in the variable notation given in the problem for the following equations.
Im not entirely sure what equations to use. But I've jotted down these.
angular momentum (S)= moment of inertia (I) x angular speed (Ωp)
precession angular velocity= T/L= ωr/Iω
Magnetic Field: B= mΩp/q

b]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

B = mΩp/q
= m (S/I)/ q

I solve B for Ωp and Ωp= Bq/m

μ= q/2m S S is the angular momentum
solve μ for q then but that in Ωp equation

so I then got:

Ωp= B2μ/S

Does this make any sense?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! Your solution looks good so far. Just a couple of things to note:

1. In the equation B = mΩp/q, B represents the magnitude of the magnetic field, not the magnetic moment. So you should use B = mΩp/q = mS/I instead of B = mΩp/q = mμ/S.

2. The magnetic moment here is not the same as the magnetic permeability. The magnetic moment (μ) is a measure of the strength of the particle's magnetic field, while the magnetic permeability (μ0) is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. So you should not substitute μ for q in your equation for Ωp.

With those corrections, your final answer should be Ωp = Bμ/S. Great job!

Related to Angular speed in terms magnetic field

1. What is angular speed in terms magnetic field?

Angular speed in terms of magnetic field refers to the rate at which an object rotates around an axis in the presence of a magnetic field. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular speed affected by magnetic field?

The angular speed of an object is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the angular speed also increases.

3. Can angular speed be calculated using magnetic field?

Yes, angular speed can be calculated using the equation ω = Bv/r, where ω is the angular speed, B is the magnetic field strength, v is the linear velocity of the object, and r is the radius of rotation.

4. What is the relationship between angular speed and magnetic field direction?

The direction of the angular speed is determined by the direction of the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the radius of rotation, the angular speed will be maximum. If the magnetic field is parallel to the radius of rotation, the angular speed will be zero.

5. How does angular speed in terms of magnetic field relate to centripetal force?

Angular speed in terms of magnetic field is directly related to centripetal force. The stronger the magnetic field, the stronger the centripetal force required to maintain the same angular speed. This is due to the fact that the magnetic force acts as the centripetal force in a circular motion in a magnetic field.