Angular Momentum with a Circular Platform

In summary, the question involves a 45kg child running at 3.0m/s jumping onto a stationary merry-go-round with a moment of inertia of 360 kgm^2 and a radius of 2.0m. The angular velocity of the child and the merry-go-round can be found using conservation of angular momentum, taking into account the angular momentum of the child before jumping onto the merry-go-round. It is important to note that this is not a conservation of energy problem, as there is friction involved and mechanical energy is lost.
destrukt
The Question:

A 45kg child runs at 3.0m/s and jumps tangentially onto a stationary merry-go-round. The moment of inertia of the merry-go-round is 360 kgm^2 and the radius is 2.0m. What is the angular velocity of the child and the merry-go-round?

My attempts:

I'm not sure how to incorporate the speed of the running child into this question. I've made some attempts at getting the answer but none included the speed of the running child, and I know it has to include it.

First I tried solving this with respect to conservation of angular momentum...but I got nowhere with that. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with conservation of angular momentum but I can't figure out where to start with the question. Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's a conservation of angular momentum problem. Hint: What's the angular momentum of the running child before she jumps on the merry-go-round?

should have thought about it more, sorry about the wrong answer.

Last edited:
Borxter said:
I think i got the solution:

Im assuming no friction. Conservation of KE:
You cannot assume conservation of energy--the child and merry-go-round undergo an inelastic collision.

Also... please provide help, but do not provide complete solutions--let others do their own work. (Please do provide help, though! :smile: )

Hey thanks for the help doc, I got it...feel so stupid for asking as the solution was like 3 lines long. And yea there is no conservation of energy as the next question was to find out the mechanical energy lost to friction !

Related to Angular Momentum with a Circular Platform

1. What is angular momentum with a circular platform?

Angular momentum with a circular platform is a concept in physics that describes the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point. It is a measure of how much an object is rotating and is affected by both the object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it is rotating). The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

Angular momentum and torque are closely related. Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, and it is directly proportional to the object's angular acceleration. As angular acceleration increases, so does the object's angular momentum. Conversely, a change in angular momentum can also result in a torque on the object.

4. How does angular momentum change with a circular platform?

If a circular platform is rotating at a constant speed, its angular momentum will also remain constant. However, if external forces act on the platform, such as friction or a change in the applied torque, the angular momentum will change accordingly. This change can result in a change in the platform's rotational speed.

5. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that, in a closed system (where no external forces act), the total angular momentum will remain constant. This means that if one object's angular momentum increases, another object's angular momentum must decrease by the same amount. This principle is often used in explaining phenomena such as the rotation of planets and the behavior of spinning objects in space.