Angular momentum of a solid cylinder rotating around axis

In summary, the problem involves a solid cylinder of mass ##m## and radius ##r## rotating about its geometric axis at an angular rate ##p## rad/s, while a bracket and shaft also rotate about the x-axis at a rate of ##\omega## rad/s. The angular momentum about O is determined, taking into account the symmetry of the system. The calculation of ##I_{yy}## is discussed, with the conclusion that the parallel axis theorem does not apply since the rotation is not about an axis through O. The question of why ##I_{yz}## is equal to 0 is also raised, with the suggestion that the geometry is not symmetrical about either axis when looking at the YZ plane.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

I'll provide picture for clearer understanding. The solid cylinder of mass ##m## and radius ##r## revolves about its geometric axis at an angular rate ##p## rad/s. Simultaneously, the bracket and shaft revolve about x-axis at the rate ##\omega## rad/s. Determine the angular momentum about O.

WXS1ivg.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to symmetry it follows that ##I_{xy}=I_{xz}=I_{yz}=0## so the angular momentum reduces to ##\boldsymbol{L_{O}}=I_{xx}\omega \boldsymbol{\hat{i}}+I_{yy}p\boldsymbol{\hat{j}}##.

Further thoughts: If the ##mh^2## is removed, does not that calculate the rotation of the cylinder IF the geometrical axis coincide with the ##y##-axis ??

I have the calculated ##I_{xx}## correctly but ##I_{yy}## is incorrect.

##I_{yy}=\overline{I}_{yy}+md^2=\frac{1}{2}mr^2+mh^2## but there shound NOT be an ##mh^2## ...and I want to understand why

Physics news on Phys.org
say what? why shouldn't there be? It's a parallel axis shift What I see is 1/2 mb^2 + mh^2 for your moment in the y plane

Yes, exactly. It could be wrong in the key, because I got ##I_{xx}## correct. I'll double check.

I don't see why there would be an mh2p term. The rotation p is not about an axis through O, so the parallel axis theorem does not apply.

Likes 1 person
Why is Iyz = 0?

When looking at the YZ plane the geometry is not symmetrical about either axis?

anchonee said:
Why is Iyz = 0?

When looking at the YZ plane the geometry is not symmetrical about either axis?
It's hard to tell because the exact expression for the ##\omega## term was never posted, but I suspect the OP is a bit careless about whether ##I_{xx}## refers to moment about the mass centre or moment about O.

Likes anchonee

Related to Angular momentum of a solid cylinder rotating around axis

1) What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2) How is the moment of inertia related to angular momentum?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The larger the moment of inertia, the harder it is to change the object's angular velocity, and therefore, the greater its angular momentum.

3) How is angular momentum conserved in a solid cylinder rotating around an axis?

In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. In the case of a solid cylinder rotating around an axis, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system, the angular momentum will remain constant.

4) How does the angular velocity affect the angular momentum of a solid cylinder?

The angular momentum of a solid cylinder is directly proportional to its angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, so does the angular momentum, and vice versa.

5) What is the relationship between torque and angular momentum in a solid cylinder?

The torque on a solid cylinder is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum. This means that the greater the torque applied to the cylinder, the faster its angular velocity will change, and therefore, its angular momentum will also change.