Angular momentum of a rod rotating about an axis

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the angular momentum of a rod rotating about the z-axis. The progress made includes simplifying the angular momentum equation and splitting the rod into three parts to calculate for each body. There is also a discussion on the incorrect terms and calculations for bodies B and C. The conversation also touches on the use of the parallel axis theorem in solving the problem.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

I'll provide a picture for clearer understanding. The problem is to calculate the angular momentum of the rod rotating about the z-axis. I have serious difficulties in deriving the inertia matrix, that's all I need help with.

19Nguqj.jpg

Progress

Since the rod is rotating about the z-axis ##\Rightarrow \omega _{x}=\omega _{y}=0## the angular momentum simplifies to

## \boldsymbol{L}_{O}=-I_{xz}\omega _{z}\hat{\mathbf{i}}-I_{yz}\omega _{z}\boldsymbol{\hat{j}}+I_{zz}\omega_{z}\boldsymbol{\hat{k}} ##

Split the rod in three parts (SEE FIGURE) and calculate for each body.

I have correct terms for body A.

For B:

##I_{xz}=\overline{I}_{xz}+md_{x}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(0)(\frac{b}{2})=0##
##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(b)(\frac{b}{2})=\frac{1}{2}\rho b^3##
(Wrong)##I_{zz}=\overline{I}_{zz}+md^2 = 0 + (\rho b)(b^2+(\frac{b}{2})^2)=\frac{5}{4}\rho b^3## (d is distance from midpoint of B to origin O)

For C:

##I_{xz}=\overline{I}_{xz}+md_{x}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(\frac{b}{2})(b)=\frac{1}{2}\rho b^3##
##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z} = 0 +\rho b(b)(b)=\rho b^3##
(Wrong)##I_{zz}=\overline{I}_{zz}+md^2 = \frac{1}{3}(\rho b)(b^2)+(\rho b)((2b^2)^2+(\frac{b}{2})^2)=\frac{55}{12}\rho b^3## (distance d is from midpoint of C to origin O)

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious, why is Ibar_zz = 0? are you treating the radius to be zero? if that's the case then your md^2 term should be rho(b)(a^2) as a is the distance from the z axis. If you aren't taking the segment to have 0 radius, then Ibar_zz should be non zero, and your term for md^2 should be rho(b)(a+radius_b)^2, not (b^2 + b/2 ^2)

Follow that logic through with C. (how far is it from the z axis?)
Also I believe you want 1/12 mr^2 for that rod, maybe not, I'm not up to par on moments of inertia, but I'm pretty sure a rod pivoted about one end is 1/12 mr^2.

But using the parallel axis theorem is the right place to start.

I think that since it is not mentioned about any radius we can safely assume it to be zero. What distance? The perpendicular distance? Or using Phytagorean ?

I think this is slighly better but still wrong..

For B:

##I_{zz}=\overline{I}_{zz}+md^2 = \frac{1}{3}(\rho b)(b^2)+(\rho b)(b^2+(\frac{b}{2})^2)=\frac{19}{12}\rho b^3 ##. I am not sure whether distance d is from the midpoint of B and or just the vertical distance because it is still wrong!

For C:

Correct it should be ##\frac{1}{12}(\rho b)(b^2)## since the distance of the mass particles to the axis varies. Still wrong..

Oh wait, I didn't read the picture carefully enough. Replace all the a's with b's in the md^2 term

Likes 1 person
Ok, so for A, it's cut and dry, [itex]\frac{1}{3} \rho b^3[/itex]because[itex] [(mb^2)=(\rho b)b^2][/itex]
B, you have no moment before the axis shift, which leaves [itex]\rho b^3[/itex] after the shift
C you have [itex]\frac{1}{3} mb^2 + md^2 = \frac{4}{3} \rho b^3[/itex]

I don't know where you're getting this [itex]\frac{b}{2}[/itex] term from.

Your total I about the z axis should be [itex]\frac{1}{3} \rho b^3 + \rho b^3 +\frac{4}{3} \rho b^3 = \frac{8}{3} \rho b^3[/itex]

The only thing that's throwing me for a loop is the C chunk, it's not rotating like a bar with one end on the axis... do you see what I'm saying? So this solution may or may not be good...

Related to Angular momentum of a rod rotating about an axis

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, defined as the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It is a vector quantity, with direction perpendicular to the rotation axis.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (I) by its angular velocity (ω). The equation is L = Iω.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass around the rotation axis.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

According to Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion, the net torque acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum. This means that a torque can cause a change in the angular momentum of an object.

How does the angular momentum of a rod rotating about an axis change with distance?

The angular momentum of a rod rotating about an axis does not change with distance from the axis, as long as the mass distribution of the rod remains constant. This is because the moment of inertia, which is a component of angular momentum, takes into account the distance of the mass from the rotation axis.