Angular Momentum Ladder Operators

In summary, the Clebsch Gordan coefficients arise from a scale factor that creeps in when angular momentum is normalized.
masudr
I thought that I had angular momentum very well understood, but something has been giving me problems recently.

It is often stated in textbooks and webpages alike, that the angular momentum ladder operators defined as

[tex]J_{\pm} \equiv J_x \pm i J_y[/tex]

Then the texts often go on to say that these operators satisfy the following crucial commutation relation:

[tex]\left[ J_z , J_\pm ] = \pm J_\pm[/tex]

The problem I have is that if the above commutation relation holds perfectly, then the Clebsch Gordan coefficients would never arise. Applying the [itex]J_z[/itex] operator to a raised/lowered eigenstate should perfectly give m-1 or m+1, assuming the above commutation relation to be correct. Instead, we are told that there is some factor that creeps in.

To be honest, there is a similar thing with SHO ladder operators, we normally get factors of the form [itex]\sqrt{n}, \sqrt{n+1}[/itex].

If there is something obvious I have missed, then can someone let me know. Also, if anyone knows the derivation of the above commutation rule, or a link to it, that'd be great. I tried to derive it, but had some trouble.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume an invariant common dense everywhere domain (for the angular momentum algebra representation) on which the ang mom ops are essentially self adj. Then (missing the vector for simplicity and taking hbar=1)

[tex]\left[ J_{z},J_{\pm }\right] =\left[ J_{z},J_{x}\pm iJ_{y}\right] =iJ_{y}\pm J_{x}=\pm \left( J_{x}\pm iJ_{y}\right) =\pm J_{\pm } [/tex].

Can you justify that "The problem I have is that if the above commutation relation holds perfectly, then the Clebsch Gordan coefficients would never arise. Applying the LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment. operator to a raised/lowered eigenstate should perfectly give m-1 or m+1, assuming the above commutation relation to be correct. Instead, we are told that there is some factor that creeps in." ?

What you are missing is that while [tex]{\mathbf{J}}_ \pm \left| {j,m} \right\rangle [/tex] is an eigenvector of [tex]{\mathbf{J}}_z[/tex], it is not a normalized eigenvector, and this is where this extra scale factor comes from. For example, say you have [tex]\left| {j,m} \right\rangle[/tex] normalized so that [tex]\left\langle {{j,m}} \mathrel{\left | {\vphantom {{j,m} {j,m}}} \right. \kern-\nulldelimiterspace} {{j,m}} \right\rangle = 1[/tex], now [tex]
{\mathbf{J}}_ \pm \left| {j,m} \right\rangle = N_{j,m \pm 1} \left| {j,m \pm 1} \right\rangle[/tex]. So, [tex]\left| {N_{j,m \pm 1} } \right|^2 \left\langle {{j,m \pm 1}}
\mathrel{\left | {\vphantom {{j,m \pm 1} {j,m \pm 1}}} \right. \kern-\nulldelimiterspace}
{{j,m \pm 1}} \right\rangle = \left\langle {j,m} \right|{\mathbf{J}}_ \mp {\mathbf{J}}_ \pm \left| {j,m} \right\rangle = \left\langle {j,m} \right|{\mathbf{J}}^2 - {\mathbf{J}}_z^2 \mp {\mathbf{J}}_z \left| {j,m} \right\rangle = j(j + 1) - m(m \pm 1)
[/tex]. Therefore, [tex]N_{j,m \pm 1} = \sqrt {(j + {1 \mathord{\left/
{\vphantom {1 {2)^2 - (m \pm 1/2)^2 }}} \right.
\kern-\nulldelimiterspace} {2)^2 - (m \pm 1/2)^2 }}} = \sqrt {(j \mp m)(j \pm m + 1)}
[/tex]. Finally you get [tex]{\mathbf{J}}_ \pm \left| {j,m} \right\rangle = \sqrt {(j \mp m)(j \pm m + 1)} \left| {j,m \pm 1} \right\rangle [/tex]. The same logic works for angular momentum [tex]{\mathbf{a}}^\dag \left| n \right\rangle = N_{n + 1} \left| n \right\rangle [/tex] needs to be normalized just like the angular momentum did.

Related to Angular Momentum Ladder Operators

1. What is the concept of Angular Momentum Ladder Operators?

Angular Momentum Ladder Operators are mathematical operators that are used to describe the quantum mechanical properties of a physical system. They are used to calculate the angular momentum of a particle, which is a measure of its rotational motion.

2. How do Angular Momentum Ladder Operators work?

Angular Momentum Ladder Operators follow specific mathematical rules and equations to determine the angular momentum of a particle. These operators act on the quantum state of the particle to produce a new quantum state with a different angular momentum value.

3. What is the significance of Angular Momentum Ladder Operators in quantum mechanics?

Angular Momentum Ladder Operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as they help us understand and calculate the angular momentum of particles at the quantum level. This is important in various fields such as atomic and molecular physics, nuclear physics, and solid-state physics.

4. Can Angular Momentum Ladder Operators be used for any type of particle?

Yes, Angular Momentum Ladder Operators can be used for any type of particle, whether it is a subatomic particle or a macroscopic object. These operators are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and can be applied to any physical system with rotational motion.

5. How are Angular Momentum Ladder Operators related to the Uncertainty Principle?

Angular Momentum Ladder Operators are closely related to the Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. These operators help us calculate the uncertainty in the angular momentum of a particle, which is a fundamental property of quantum systems.