Commutation relations for angular momentum operator

In summary, the angular momentum operators ##\vec{J} = \vec{x} \times \vec{p} = \vec{x} \times (-i\vec{\nabla})## can be used to obtain the commutation relations ##[J_{i},J_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_{k}##. The mistake in the given proof is in the step where the derivative operators act on the product between ##x_l## and an arbitrary wavefunction. By fully expanding and checking each line of the symbolic solution against the specific solution, the correct result is obtained. The Poisson Bracket can also be used to show the commutation relations, by using the identities ##\frac{\partial J
spaghetti3451
I would like to prove that the angular momentum operators ##\vec{J} = \vec{x} \times \vec{p} = \vec{x} \times (-i\vec{\nabla})## can be used to obtain the commutation relations ##[J_{i},J_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_{k}##.

Something's gone wrong with my proof below. Can you point out the mistake?

##[J_{i},J_{j}]##
##=J_{i}J_{j}-J_{j}J_{i}##
##=(-i\epsilon_{ikl}x_{k}\nabla_{l})(-i\epsilon_{jmn}x_{m}\nabla_{n})-(-i\epsilon_{jmn}x_{m}\nabla_{n})(-i\epsilon_{ikl}x_{k}\nabla_{l})##
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}\nabla_{l}(x_{m}\nabla_{n})-x_{m}\nabla_{n}(x_{k}\nabla_{l})##
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}x_{m}\nabla_{l}\nabla_{n}+x_{k}\nabla_{n}\nabla_{l}x_{m}-x_{m}x_{k}\nabla_{n}\nabla_{l}-x_{m}\nabla_{l}\nabla_{n}x_{k}]##
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}x_{m}\nabla_{l}\nabla_{n}+x_{k}\nabla_{n}\delta_{lm}-x_{m}x_{k}\nabla_{n}\nabla_{l}-x_{m}\nabla_{l}\delta_{nk}]##
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}x_{m}\nabla_{l}\nabla_{n}+0-x_{m}x_{k}\nabla_{n}\nabla_{l}-0]##
##=0##

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not reviewed my old lecture on the use of the Levi-Civita symbol so I can't tell, at least for now, whether or not you made a mistake in that symbol related operation, but I can tell that in the transition from
failexam said:
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}x_{m}\nabla_{l}\nabla_{n}+x_{k}\nabla_{n}\nabla_{l}x_{m}-x_{m}x_{k}\nabla_{n}\nabla_{l}-x_{m}\nabla_{l}\nabla_{n}x_{k}]##
to
failexam said:
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}x_{m}\nabla_{l}\nabla_{n}+x_{k}\nabla_{n}\delta_{lm}-x_{m}x_{k}\nabla_{n}\nabla_{l}-x_{m}\nabla_{l}\delta_{nk}]##
You forgot that this operator will act on an arbitrary wavefunction. Therefore you have to pretend that the derivatives will also act on the product between ##x_l## and this dummy wavefunction.

Let me post my calculation with the wavefunction plugged in explicitly.

##[J_{i},J_{j}] \psi##
##=J_{i}J_{j}\psi-J_{j}J_{i}\psi##
##=(-i\epsilon_{ikl}x_{k}\nabla_{l})(-i\epsilon_{jmn}x_{m}\nabla_{n})\psi-(-i\epsilon_{jmn}x_{m}\nabla_{n})(-i\epsilon_{ikl}x_{k}\nabla_{l})\psi##
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}\nabla_{l}(x_{m}\nabla_{n}\psi)-x_{m}\nabla_{n}(x_{k}\nabla_{l}\psi)##
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}x_{m}\nabla_{l}(\nabla_{n}\psi)+x_{k}(\nabla_{n}\psi)\nabla_{l}x_{m}-x_{m}x_{k}\nabla_{n}(\nabla_{l}\psi)-x_{m}(\nabla_{l}\psi)\nabla_{n}x_{k}]##
##=-\epsilon_{ikl}\epsilon_{jmn}[x_{k}x_{m}\nabla_{l}(\nabla_{n}\psi)+x_{k}(\nabla_{n}\psi)\delta_{lm}-x_{m}x_{k}\nabla_{n}(\nabla_{l}\psi)-x_{m}(\nabla_{l}\psi)\delta_{nk}]##
##=-\epsilon_{ikm}\epsilon_{jmn}x_{k}(\nabla_{n}\psi)+\epsilon_{inl}\epsilon_{jmn}x_{m}(\nabla_{l}\psi)##
##=-\epsilon_{mik}\epsilon_{mnj}x_{k}(\nabla_{n}\psi)+\epsilon_{nli}\epsilon_{njm}x_{m}(\nabla_{l}\psi)##
##=-(\delta_{in}\delta_{kj}-\delta_{ij}\delta_{kn})x_{k}(\nabla_{n}\psi)+(\delta_{lj}\delta_{im}-\delta_{lm}\delta_{ij})x_{m}(\nabla_{l}\psi)##
##=-x_{i}(\nabla_{j}\psi)+x_{k}(\nabla_{k}\psi)+x_{i}(\nabla_{j}\psi)-x_{k}(\nabla_{k}\psi)##
##=0##

Where's the mistake now?

I would simply do it explicitly for ##J_1## and ##J_2## and use symmetry of the cross product. Yes, you should be able to crank it out using the L-C and delta symbols, but somehow it always seems to go wrong!

I know I can do it in your way, but I am trying to practice my Levi-Civita and tensor manipulations, hence I would like to do it in the hard way.

failexam said:
I know I can do it in your way, but I am trying to practice my Levi-Civita and tensor manipulations, hence I would like to do it in the hard way.

Expand it out fully (for ##J_1## and ##J_2##, say) and check each line of the symbolic solution to each line of the specific solution to find where you've gone wrong.

I would get rid of the ##-i## as well. You can always put that back in at the end.

failexam said:
##=-(\delta_{in}\delta_{kj}-\delta_{ij}\delta_{kn})x_{k}(\nabla_{n}\psi)+(\delta_{lj}\delta_{im}-\delta_{lm}\delta_{ij})x_{m}(\nabla_{l}\psi)##
##=-x_{i}(\nabla_{j}\psi)+x_{k}(\nabla_{k}\psi)+x_{i}(\nabla_{j}\psi)-x_{k}(\nabla_{k}\psi)##
In the upper line ##\delta_{ij} = 0## if ##i \neq j##, and also check again the first term in the second line, you made a mistake there.

failexam said:

[tex]
[J_{i}, J_{m}] = \epsilon_{ijk} \ \epsilon_{mnr}[x_{j} \ p_{k}, x_{n} \ p_{r}] .
[/tex]
To avoid confusion, always use the identity
[tex]
[AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B
[/tex]
Applying this to the bracket on the RHS together with the fundamental commutation relations,
[tex]
[x_{i},x_{j}] = [p_{i},p_{j}] = 0, \ \ \ [x_{i},p_{j}] = i \delta_{ij} ,
[/tex]
you get
[tex]
[x_{j} \ p_{k},x_{n} \ p_{r}] = -i \delta_{nk} \ x_{j} \ p_{r} + i \delta_{jr} \ x_{n} \ p_{k} .
[/tex]
Thus
[tex]
\begin{align*}
[J_{i},J_{m}] &= i\epsilon_{ijk} \ \epsilon_{mrk} \ x_{j} p_{r} - i \epsilon_{ikj} \ \epsilon_{mnj} \ x_{n} p_{k} \\
&= ix_{j} p_{r} \left( \delta_{im} \delta_{jr} - \delta_{ir} \delta_{jm} \right) - ix_{n} p_{k} \left( \delta_{im} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{in} \delta_{km} \right) \\
&= i\left( x_{r} \ p_{r} \ \delta_{im} -x_{m} \ p_{i} \right) - i \left( x_{k} \ p_{k} \ \delta_{im} - x_{i} \ p_{m} \right) \\
&= i \left( x_{i} \ p_{m}-x_{m} \ p_{i} \right) \\
&=i \ \epsilon_{imn} \ J_{n} .
\end{align*}
[/tex]
You can also use the Poisson Bracket
[tex]
\big\{ J_{i},J_{m} \big\} = \frac{\partial J_{i}}{\partial x_{l}} \frac{\partial J_{m}}{\partial p_{l}} - \frac{\partial J_{m}}{\partial x_{l}}\frac{\partial J_{i}}{\partial p_{l}} .
[/tex]
Using
[tex]\frac{\partial J_{i}}{\partial x_{l}} = \epsilon_{ilk}p_{k} , \ \ \frac{\partial J_{i}}{\partial p_{l}} = \epsilon_{ijl}x_{j} ,
[/tex]
you get
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\big\{ J_{i},J_{m} \big\} &= \left( \epsilon_{mnl} \epsilon_{ikl} - \epsilon_{inl} \epsilon_{mkl} \right) x_{k} \ p_{n} \\
&= x_{i} \ p_{m} -x_{m} \ p_{i} \\
&= \epsilon_{imn} \ J_{n} .
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Likes PeroK

Related to Commutation relations for angular momentum operator

What are commutation relations for angular momentum operator?

Commutation relations for angular momentum operator are mathematical expressions that describe the relationship between different components of angular momentum, such as spin and orbital angular momentum.

Why are commutation relations for angular momentum operator important?

Commutation relations for angular momentum operator are important because they help us understand the behavior and properties of angular momentum, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. They also play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics and in the calculation of physical quantities.

How do you derive commutation relations for angular momentum operator?

Commutation relations for angular momentum operator can be derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the definition of the angular momentum operator. The commutator of two operators is equal to the difference between their product and the product of the operators in reverse order.

What are the applications of commutation relations for angular momentum operator?

Commutation relations for angular momentum operator have various applications in quantum mechanics, including the calculation of uncertainty in angular momentum measurements and the prediction of the behavior of particles in different quantum systems. They are also used in the study of atomic and molecular structure, as well as in nuclear physics.

Can commutation relations for angular momentum operator be generalized to other operators?

Yes, commutation relations for angular momentum operator can be generalized to other operators in quantum mechanics. This allows us to study the behavior and properties of different physical quantities and their relationships to each other. However, the specific form of the commutation relation may vary depending on the operators involved.