Angular Momentum commutation relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses the order in which linear operators are applied and how it affects the outcome. The example of position and momentum operators is used to illustrate this concept, with the conclusion that the operators will not commute in general. The conversation also touches on the commutation relations for these operators and how they can be used to change the order of operations.
ognik
It seems to be implied, but I can't find it explicitly - the order in which linear operators are applied makes a difference. IE given linear operators A,B then AB is NOT necessarily the same as BA ? I thought it was only with rotation operators that the order made a difference?

I noticed this while looking at text that showed [Lx,Ly] = i(h-bar)Lz, using only position and momentum operators...<<mentor note: originally posted in homework forum, template removed>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, linear operators will not commute. Another common example is the position and momentum operators.

Thanks - of course, not a clever question when I am studying commutation relationships... But now I might see what was bothering me (I think) - the text expands [Lx,Ly] in terms of position and momentum operators, you get 8 terms like YPzZPx - the last 4 could cancel the 1st 4 out - but only if it was OK to change the order - like ZPxYPz (which is the 1st of the last 4, to complete the example). So are they OK in assuming that the operators don't commute - in order to prove that other operators don't commute?

ognik said:
So are they OK in assuming that the operators don't commute - in order to prove that other operators don't commute?

Yes. You can easily derive the commutation relations for ##P_i## with ##X_i## using the position basis representation ##P_i \to -i\partial_i## and ##X_i \to x^i## and their action on any wave function ##\psi(x)##.

ognik said:
the order in which linear operators are applied makes a difference.

If they don't commute yes... if they commute, no...
If they commute, you have to be careful when changing the order -> new terms can be brought in.
For example if I have [itex] x p_x [/itex] and I want for some calculation to rewrite it in [itex] p_x x[/itex] (because it would come handy) I would have to use the relation:
[itex][x, p_x ] = x p_x - p_x x= i \hbar \Rightarrow x p_x = p_x x + i \hbar[/itex] and that's with what you change [itex]x p_x[/itex].

Thanks all

Related to Angular Momentum commutation relationships

1. What is angular momentum commutation?

Angular momentum commutation is a mathematical relationship that describes how two different components of angular momentum can interact with each other. It explains how the magnitude and direction of angular momentum can change when two components are combined or when one component is measured.

2. How are angular momentum commutation relationships derived?

Angular momentum commutation relationships are derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. They are based on the mathematical framework of operators and commutators, which describe the behavior of physical quantities in quantum systems.

3. What are the implications of angular momentum commutation relationships?

Angular momentum commutation relationships have important implications in quantum mechanics and various fields of physics. They help to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, and are crucial in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and quantum computers.

4. Can angular momentum commutation relationships be applied in classical mechanics?

No, angular momentum commutation relationships are specific to quantum mechanics and cannot be applied in classical mechanics. In classical mechanics, angular momentum is described using different equations and does not involve the concept of operators or commutators.

5. How do angular momentum commutation relationships relate to the uncertainty principle?

Angular momentum commutation relationships are closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the precise values of certain pairs of physical quantities. The commutators in angular momentum commutation relationships contribute to this uncertainty, as they describe how the measurements of two components of angular momentum are correlated.