Angular Kinematics: Calculating Car's Angular Acceleration

In summary, the wheel of a car with a radius of 0.2m initially rotates at 120 rpm and makes 90 revolutions in the next minute. Attempting to find the final angular velocity using angular kinematics equations did not result in the correct answer, which is -0.105 rads^-1. The angular velocity was calculated to be 4pi rad/s and θ= 180pi rad in 60 seconds. Using the same approach as a similar linear displacement problem, with θ as the angular displacement, ω as the angular velocity, θ0 as the initial angular displacement, ω0 as the initial angular velocity, and α as the angular acceleration, the equation for θ as a function
KiNGGeexD
Question

The wheel of a car has radius 0.2m and initially rotates at 120 rpm. In the next minute it makes 90 revolutions
What is the cars angular acceleration?Attempt

So I tried to get the final angular velocity and couldn't and have tried multiple times with the angular kinematics equations but I'm not getting the correct answer

Which is -0.105 rads^-1 b

Physics news on Phys.org
KiNGGeexD said:
Question

The wheel of a car has radius 0.2m and initially rotates at 120 rpm. In the next minute it makes 90 revolutions
What is the cars angular acceleration?

Attempt

So I tried to get the final angular velocity and couldn't and have tried multiple times with the angular kinematics equations but I'm not getting the correct answer

Which is -0.105 rads^-1 b
How many radians are there in 120 revolutions?
How many seconds are there in a minute?
What is the angular velocity of the wheel initially?

I got the angular velocity as 4pi rad/s

And I know θ= 180pi rad in 60 seconds

Also I calculated the final angular velocity to be 3pi rad/s

Hi KiNGGeexD! :smile:

This is essentially the same type of question as A car initially moves at 120 mph. In the first hour it moves 90 miles.
What is the cars acceleration? …

solve it the same way. :wink:

KiNGGeexD said:
I got the angular velocity as 4pi rad/s

And I know θ= 180pi rad in 60 seconds
Where did you get the 180 from? I get 240.

Did you know that the equations for angular displacement, angular velocity and angular acceleration are of the same mathematical form as those for linear displacement, linear velocity, and linear acceleration? Well they are. If θ is the angular displacement, ω is the angular velocity, and α is the angular acceleration, what is the equation for θ as a function of time t in terms of the initial angular displacement θ0, the initial angular velocity ω0, and the angular acceleration α?

Chet

I did it that way exactly but still got that question wrong

Θ= 90 rev * 2pi

KiNGGeexD said:
I did it that way exactly but still got that question wrong
I got the same answer you got. Maybe they want it as -60 revs/min^2.

Chet

Related to Angular Kinematics: Calculating Car's Angular Acceleration

1. What is angular kinematics?

Angular kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in circular paths or rotations. It involves studying the concepts of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated for a car?

Angular acceleration for a car can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is expressed in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

3. What is the relationship between linear and angular acceleration for a car?

The relationship between linear and angular acceleration is that they are directly proportional. This means that as the linear acceleration of a car increases, the angular acceleration also increases.

4. How does angular acceleration affect a car's turning ability?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in a car's turning ability. The greater the angular acceleration, the quicker the car will turn. This is because angular acceleration determines how quickly the car's wheels can change their direction and speed.

5. How can angular acceleration be changed for a car?

Angular acceleration for a car can be changed by altering the force applied to the wheels or by changing the car's weight distribution. This can be done by adjusting the car's suspension, tires, and aerodynamics.