Angular acceleration of a drill

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a dentist's drill starting from rest and reaching a rate of 2.20 x 10^4 rev/min after 2.90 s of constant angular acceleration. The task is to find the drill's angular acceleration in rad/sec^2 and determine the angle in radians through which it rotates during this period. The person solving the problem initially converts rev/min to rad/sec and obtains a value of 2303.8 rad/sec, but after using the formula change in angular velocity/ change in time, they get a different answer and are unsure of what else to try. It is eventually discovered that the incorrect input of 2.9 s instead of 2.90 s was causing
Dr_bug

Homework Statement

A dentist's drill starts from rest. After 2.90 s of constant angular acceleration it turns at a rate of 2.20 x 10^4 rev/min.
(a) Find the drill's angular acceleration (in rad/sec^2).
(b) Determine the angle (in radians) through which the drill rotates during this period.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so for (a) I thought that I should convert the rev/ min to rad/sec first and got 2303.8 rad/sec and then I used: change in angular velocity/ change in time and got 886.09 but when I input this answer, webassign (thats how we submit homework) says I'm wrong... I don't know what else to try

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr_bug said:

Homework Statement

A dentist's drill starts from rest. After 2.90 s of constant angular acceleration it turns at a rate of 2.20 x 10^4 rev/min.
(a) Find the drill's angular acceleration (in rad/sec^2).
(b) Determine the angle (in radians) through which the drill rotates during this period.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so for (a) I thought that I should convert the rev/ min to rad/sec first and got 2303.8 rad/sec and then I used: change in angular velocity/ change in time and got 886.09 but when I input this answer, webassign (thats how we submit homework) says I'm wrong... I don't know what else to try

Are you using 2.9 s for your time? Check your division.

Ahh Geez... thanks I was going crazy

Related to Angular acceleration of a drill

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the speed at which an object is rotating around an axis.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is specific to rotational motion, while linear acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object in a straight line.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated as the change in angular velocity over time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a drill?

The angular acceleration of a drill can be affected by the torque applied by the motor, the rotational inertia of the drill, and any external forces acting on the drill.

5. How does angular acceleration affect the performance of a drill?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in the performance of a drill. It determines how quickly the drill bit will rotate, which affects the speed and efficiency of the drilling process.