Angle of intersection between two parametric curves

In summary: That's about 20 seconds. How much time does it take to think about 100 characters? That's about 2 seconds. How much time does it take to think about 100 numbers? That's about 2 minutes. How much time does it take to write 100 numbers? That's about 20 seconds. So writing is 6 times faster than thinking. And if you write numbers, you only think about them every 6 minutes!In summary, the conversation involved a problem with parametric equations, finding the point of intersection for two curves and the angle of intersection between their tangent vectors. The correct answer for the angle of intersection was found to be 29° after multiple attempts and a slight confusion between the position and tangent
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is a problem involving parametric equations.

r1= <t,2-t,12+t2>
r2= <6-s,s-4,s2>

At what point do the curves intersect?

Find the angle of intersection, to the nearest degree.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the point of intersection, (2,0,16). This is when t=2 and s=4.

I found the tangent vectors.
d/dt(r1) = <1,-1,2t>
d/ds(r2) = <-1,1,2s>

I used r1[itex]\cdot[/itex]r2 = |r1||r2|cos[itex]\theta[/itex], using the tangent vectors at t=2 and s=4, and solved for theta.. I came up with 23°, but the system tells me I'm wrong. What happened?

EDIT:: Okay... it seems like I was coming up with a different answer every time. Got it on my last try though. Gotta be more careful... for anyone wondering, the correct answer is 29°

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem involving parametric equations.

r1= <t,2-t,12+t2>
r2= <6-s,s-4,s2>

At what point do the curves intersect?

Find the angle of intersection, to the nearest degree.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the point of intersection, (2,0,16). This is when t=2 and s=4.

I found the tangent vectors.
d/dt(r1) = <1,-1,2t>
d/ds(r2) = <-1,1,2s>

I used r1[itex]\cdot[/itex]r2 = |r1||r2|cos[itex]\theta[/itex], using the tangent vectors at t=2 and s=4, and solved for theta.. I came up with 23°, but the system tells me I'm wrong. What happened?

EDIT:: Okay... it seems like I was coming up with a different answer every time. Got it on my last try though. Gotta be more careful... for anyone wondering, the correct answer is 29°
Let's see, so that once and forever not everybody has to redo the exercise. Note that ##t=2## and ##s=4.##
\begin{align*}
\dot r_1 \cdot \dot r_2 &= (1,-1,4)\cdot (-1,1,8)=30=|(1,-1,4)|\cdot |(-1,1,8)|\cdot \cos\theta =\sqrt{18\cdot 66}\cos\theta \\
&=6\sqrt{33}\cos\theta \Longrightarrow \cos\theta =\dfrac{5}{\sqrt{33}} \approx 0.87\Longrightarrow \theta \approx 29.5
\end{align*}

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
I found myself facing a mini confusion because the OP uses the same letters, ##r_1,r_2## for the position vectors of the curves and for the tangent(velocity) vectors of the curves. The ##r_1,r_2## we use for the dot product are the tangent vectors right?

Delta2 said:
I found myself facing a mini confusion because the OP uses the same letters, ##r_1,r_2## for the position vectors of the curves and for the tangent(velocity) vectors of the curves. The ##r_1,r_2## we use for the dot product are the tangent vectors right?
Right. I had forgotten the dot (corrected now). ##r_j(t) ## are the parameterized curves, like a walk along the time axis ##t##, and ##\dfrac{d}{dt} r_j = \dot r_j## are the tangent vectors, the velocity with which we walk, or tangentially fly from the road if suddenly friction stops working.

1656776959242.png

Likes Delta2
ElijahRockers said:
I came up with 23°, but the system tells me I'm wrong. What happened?
A golden rule for such occasions and especially in exams: Writing is faster than thinking!

This sounds paradoxical, but it isn't. If you made a mistake, then it is faster to detect. If you made none, then you do not have to juggle numbers or even more important: units! in your mind. Write it down without thinking about it. How long does it take to write 100 characters without thinking about them?

Related to Angle of intersection between two parametric curves

What is the angle of intersection between two parametric curves?

The angle of intersection between two parametric curves is the measure of the angle formed by the two tangent lines at the point of intersection.

How do you find the angle of intersection between two parametric curves?

To find the angle of intersection, you first need to find the derivative of each curve with respect to a parameter. Then, you can use the dot product formula to calculate the angle between the two tangent lines at the point of intersection.

Can the angle of intersection between two parametric curves be negative?

Yes, the angle of intersection can be negative if the two curves are intersecting at a point where the tangent lines are pointing in opposite directions.

Is the angle of intersection between two parametric curves always the same?

No, the angle of intersection can vary depending on the location of the point of intersection and the shape of the curves. It can also change as the curves are shifted or rotated.

What is the significance of the angle of intersection between two parametric curves?

The angle of intersection can provide valuable information about the relationship between two curves, such as if they are tangent or intersecting at a specific point. It can also be used to determine the direction of motion of a particle moving along the curves.