And the 2021 Nobel prize for Physics goes to....

In summary, the Nobel Prize for Chemistry was awarded to a biologist for their work on the greenhouse effect, and the Nobel Prize for Physics was awarded to two researchers for their work on modeling complex systems.
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a hot topic, which is getting even hotter as the years go by.

Likes Wrichik Basu, dRic2 and Hamiltonian
DennisN said:
It's a hot topic, which is getting even hotter as the years go by.
It gets hotter and hotter in both metaphorical and literal sense.

Likes DennisN
Fascinating. As a chemistry student, I predict that the 2021 Nobel Prize for Chemistry will go to a biologist.

Here's the Physics Today article:
https://physicstoday.scitation.org/journal/pto

Hopefully, people will soon leave their biaises and treat Earth physics the same way as other physics application, i.e. with objectivity.

Many years ago, I had to leave this forum because of that problem (lack of objectivity on the issue).

Likes BillTre
Blackberg said:
Many years ago, I had to leave this forum because of that problem (lack of objectivity on the issue).
Please check your PMs. Thanks.

Somehow I have problems understanding what was novel in Manabe's work:

Manabe, of Princeton University, developed a one-dimensional climate model to investigate the balance of incoming radiation from the Sun, IR from Earth, convection in the atmosphere, and the latent heat of water vapor. His 1967 framework verified that carbon dioxide was the primary source of rising global temperatures.

To me it sounds like modeling of a greenhouse effect. Trick is, as far as I am aware it was already done in 19th century. Could be his model was much more detailed, could be I am misreading the statement, could be the statement is unfortunately vague or too general, but something doesn't compute.

Likes russ_watters
Two people share half the prize for climate models, the other half goes to Parisi. Climate is probably just a better publicity generator than "theory of disordered materials and random processes."

• Haha
Likes Demystifier
I think that the prize was awarded for the techniques that they developed for modeling complex systems, not the actual models themselves

Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann “for the physical modelling of Earth’s climate, quantifying variability and reliably predicting global warming”

Giorgio Parisi “for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales
My emphasis.

Last edited:

Related to And the 2021 Nobel prize for Physics goes to....

What is the Nobel Prize for Physics?

The Nobel Prize for Physics is an annual award given to individuals or groups who have made significant contributions to the field of physics. It is considered one of the most prestigious awards in the scientific community.

Who won the 2021 Nobel Prize for Physics?

The 2021 Nobel Prize for Physics was awarded to three scientists: Syukuro Manabe, Klaus Hasselmann, and Giorgio Parisi. They were recognized for their contributions to understanding and predicting the Earth's climate and for developing methods to simulate complex physical systems.

What were the contributions of the 2021 Nobel Prize winners to the field of physics?

Syukuro Manabe was recognized for his groundbreaking work in climate modeling, which provided the first quantitative understanding of how carbon dioxide affects the Earth's temperature. Klaus Hasselmann's research on the Earth's climate system and its variability was also crucial in our understanding of climate change. Giorgio Parisi's work on complex physical systems using statistical mechanics has had a significant impact on a wide range of fields, from materials science to biology.

How are Nobel Prize winners selected?

The Nobel Prize winners are selected by various committees, depending on the category. For the Nobel Prize in Physics, the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences is responsible for the selection process. They consider nominations from qualified individuals and institutions and evaluate the candidates' contributions to the field of physics.

What is the significance of the 2021 Nobel Prize for Physics?

The 2021 Nobel Prize for Physics recognizes the vital role of physics in understanding and addressing global challenges, such as climate change. The work of the three laureates has had a significant impact on our understanding of the Earth's climate and has paved the way for further research and solutions to mitigate the effects of climate change.