Is Ancient Aliens More Comedy Than Conspiracy?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aliens
In summary, Ancient Aliens is a show that is filled with goofy dreamers and made up stories. It is not suited to this subforum because it is not actually science fiction.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I surf through Ancient Aliens every now and then and generally can't stand it for more than a minute or two, but I keep at it because every now and then they come up with something so outstandingly moronic that I practically fall out of bed laughing. I've posted a couple such on here.

Recently I saw one where they were discussing a flying saucer. This one was absolutely priceless. It's been a few days so I don't remember the back story but I think this was one that the Nazi's obtained from aliens.

The way it worked was that it had two large circular areas on the bottom which generated matter/anti-matter pairs of particles and the anti-matter particles just naturally migrated to the top of the craft and nullified gravity, thus allowing it to move in any direction with the greatest of ease.

I swear I'm not making that up. In fact, I couldn't come up with the stuff they present if I tried.

Likes DennisN and Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
I watched the two very first episodes, and that was quite enough for me :eek:. I did not dare to continue, I'd like to preserve my mental health as good as I can :smile:. Nazis + ufos are a great combo, though :DD.

History Channels --> ghost stories and aliens
Science Channels --> goofy dreamers
Nature Channels --> big foot

Where's the Parapsychology Channel to interpret this audience demand?

stedwards said:
History Channels --> ghost stories and aliens
Science Channels --> goofy dreamers
Nature Channels --> big foot

Where's the Parapsychology Channel to interpret this audience demand?
You left out:

Fox News Channel ---> made up stuff and outright lies [actually quite similar to Ancient Aliens, just more recent in context]

phinds said:
I surf through Ancient Aliens every now and then and generally can't stand it for more than a minute or two, but I keep at it because every now and then they come up with something so outstandingly moronic that I practically fall out of bed laughing. I've posted a couple such on here.

Recently I saw one where they were discussing a flying saucer. This one was absolutely priceless. It's been a few days so I don't remember the back story but I think this was one that the Nazi's obtained from aliens.

The way it worked was that it had two large circular areas on the bottom which generated matter/anti-matter pairs of particles and the anti-matter particles just naturally migrated to the top of the craft and nullified gravity, thus allowing it to move in any direction with the greatest of ease.

I swear I'm not making that up. In fact, I couldn't come up with the stuff they present if I tried.

It must be a hoot producing those shows. I've seen one, apparently there are different species of visiting aliens. Not sure why those particular aliens teamed up with the nazis...did the show get into the alien politics...hmmmm maybe they teamed up because of similar religious ideals, 'cause I don't think those aliens are Aryan decent (their heads don't meet the measured requirements, too big. and their eyes aren't blue). That kind of plot probably would have better suited the target audience demographic... Oh Snap!

Joking aside there must be a term for this...watching stupid stuff because it's just so...odd. For example in the past I'd occasionally tune into an infomercial to laugh and mock, and have watched "the worst movie ever made" for the same reasons...maybe narcissism?

Last edited:
In an advanced, wealthy and leisure-oriented society, entertainment in general takes on a more central role. For instance, the preparation and serving of food takes on aspects of art and entertainment as much as it does economy, health and nutrition. It's only natural that science, history and nature be exploited for mysteries and esoterica that would entertain and briefly stimulate the bored, depressed, unemployed or unoccupied masses. In a world of too many ugly truths, well crafted lies may serve useful, necessary or beautiful purposes.

Likes nitsuj
It's a show I find both hilarious and depressing. Its one great use is that it complies pretty much every logical fallacy into one convinient place for teaching.

Now whilst it can charitably be called science fiction, it really isn't. It's entertainment/documentary on crazy beliefs. As such it's not suited to this subforum.

Related to Is Ancient Aliens More Comedy Than Conspiracy?

1. What is the premise of "Ancient Aliens"?

"Ancient Aliens" is a television series that explores the theory that extraterrestrial beings have visited Earth in ancient times and have had a significant impact on human history and development.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claims made on "Ancient Aliens"?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the claims made on "Ancient Aliens". The show often presents pseudoscientific theories and cherry-picks historical and archaeological evidence to fit their narrative.

3. Why do people believe in the theories presented on "Ancient Aliens"?

People believe in the theories presented on "Ancient Aliens" due to a combination of sensationalism, confirmation bias, and a lack of critical thinking skills. The show presents the information as fact and appeals to people's desire for a grand and mysterious explanation for human history.

4. How does the scientific community view "Ancient Aliens"?

The scientific community largely dismisses the claims made on "Ancient Aliens" as pseudoscience and conspiracy theories. The arguments presented on the show lack scientific rigor and are not supported by evidence-based research.

5. Does "Ancient Aliens" have any educational value?

No, "Ancient Aliens" does not have any educational value. While the show may spark curiosity and interest in ancient civilizations, its claims are not based on scientific evidence and can lead to misinformation and a misunderstanding of history and science.