Analyzing the kinematic x(t) equation

• Thread starter brusier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
It can only be tanA * tIn summary, the conversation discusses solving a symbolic equation for deltaX and simplifying the answer. The equation involves a quadratic equation and a kinematics problem, with the final term obtained from the equation for final velocity. The use of g and V(initial) in the equation is questioned, and the presence of t is also noted. It is concluded that the equation may not accurately describe motion.
brusier

Homework Statement

Solve the equation below for deltaX symbolically and simplify the answer as much as possible.

deltaY = (tan A)deltaX - g*deltaX^2/2V(initialx)^2

Homework Equations

quadratic equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can handle the algebra and simplification. My question comes as I analyze the equation as a kinematics problem. I assume the fnal term was gotten by the equation:

V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2ax. Therefore V(final) = 0 so there is a deceleration. But g is divided by this accel so I guess g is dependent on this acceleration??

I also found, that given the velocity v time graph, V(initial) = tan A.

Why wasn't this value used in the g*deltaX^2/2 V(initialx)^2 term?

Finally, because I don't see any t in the equation, I assume it can be used in terms of deltaX as well?? Or was the professor just testing our understanding of the quadratic equ?

Does this quation describe any familiar motion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
deltaY = (tan A)deltaX - g*deltaX^2/2V(initialx)^2
Dimensionally this equation is not correct. One t is missing.
I also found, that given the velocity v time graph, V(initial) = tan A.
V initial cannot be tanA

I would approach this problem by first identifying the variables and their units. In this case, we have deltaY (m), deltaX (m), tan A (dimensionless), g (m/s^2), and V(initialx) (m/s). The equation can then be rearranged to solve for deltaX, which is the change in position in the x-direction.

In terms of kinematics, this equation can be interpreted as the displacement in the y-direction (deltaY) being dependent on the displacement in the x-direction (deltaX), as well as the initial velocity (V(initialx)) and the angle of the trajectory (A). The term involving g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is dependent on the initial velocity and the angle of the trajectory.

The use of the quadratic equation is appropriate here, as the equation describes a projectile motion with a deceleration due to gravity. The value of V(initialx) is not used in the g*deltaX^2/2 V(initialx)^2 term because it is already incorporated in the term tan A, which represents the initial velocity in the x-direction.

Since there is no time variable in this equation, it cannot be used to describe any specific motion. However, it can be used to calculate the displacement in the y-direction for any given displacement in the x-direction and initial conditions.

Related to Analyzing the kinematic x(t) equation

1. What is the kinematic x(t) equation?

The kinematic x(t) equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the position of an object at a specific time. It is based on the fundamental principles of motion and is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the movement of objects.

2. How is the kinematic x(t) equation derived?

The kinematic x(t) equation is derived from the three basic equations of motion, which are based on Newton's laws of motion. These equations are used to describe the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

3. What information can be obtained from analyzing the kinematic x(t) equation?

By analyzing the kinematic x(t) equation, you can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time. This information can be used to predict future motion or to understand the motion of an object in the past.

4. What are the variables in the kinematic x(t) equation?

The variables in the kinematic x(t) equation are time (t), initial position (x0), initial velocity (v0), acceleration (a), and position (x). These variables can be solved for to determine the position of an object at a specific time.

5. How is the kinematic x(t) equation used in real-world applications?

The kinematic x(t) equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in sports, analyzing the movement of vehicles in traffic, and designing roller coasters. It is also used in fields such as robotics, biomechanics, and aerospace engineering to understand and optimize the motion of objects.