Analyzing Kac's Random Walk - Randomly rotating unit vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses a random walk defined by starting with a randomly chosen unit vector in \mathbb{R}^n and continuously rotating it by a randomly chosen angle. The goal is to calculate the expected value of the fourth power of the norm of the vector after an infinite number of rotations. The solution is not clear, but it is speculated that after many rotations, the vector will resemble (\frac{1}{\sqrt(n)},\frac{1}{\sqrt(n)},\ldots,\frac{1}{\sqrt(n)}). However, it is difficult to formalize this intuition and further help is needed.
barbutzo

Homework Statement

Let us define the following random walk:
Start with a randomly chosen (with uniform probability) unit vector (with respect to the usual Euclidean norm) in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] and call it [tex]x^{(0)}[/tex]. Now, [tex]x^{(t+1)}[/tex] is generated from [tex]x^{(t)}[/tex] in the following manner - randomly and uniformly choose two coordinates [tex]i<j[/tex], and an angle [tex]\theta \in [0,2\pi)[/tex] and rotate [tex]((x^{(t)})_i,(x^{(t)})_j)[/tex] by the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. That is, replace [tex]((x^{(t)})_i,(x^{(t)})_j)[/tex] with [tex]((x^{(t)})_i*\cos(\theta)+(x^{(t)})_j*\sin(\theta),-(x^{(t)})_i*\sin(\theta)+(x^{(t)})_j*\cos(\theta))[/tex]. Now we want to calculate (up to constants) the value of [tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow\infty}\mathbb{E}[\Vert x^{(t)} \Vert_4^4][/tex].

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure what to write here - as this is from an advanced algorithms class, so I guess it does not assume any more than undergrad probability.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I don't have much more that intuition here - it seems that after a while the [tex]x[/tex] vector should resemble [tex](\frac{1}{\sqrt(n)},\frac{1}{\sqrt(n)},\ldots,\frac{1}{\sqrt(n)})[/tex] but I have no idea how to formalize it. I mean - suppose one entry (or a set of entries) is too big - than with probability 1 it will end up getting rotated, but how will the rotation affect its value? It might get rotated with a huge coordinate!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So it's kind of hard to say what the asymptotic value should be. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Related to Analyzing Kac's Random Walk - Randomly rotating unit vectors

1. What is Kac's Random Walk?

Kac's Random Walk is a mathematical model that describes the movement of a particle in a random environment. It was first proposed by Mark Kac in the 1950s and has since been used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. How does Kac's Random Walk work?

In Kac's Random Walk, a particle starts at a fixed point and moves in random directions at each step. The directions are determined by a set of randomly generated unit vectors. The particle's position is updated at each step based on the new direction, and this process continues for a predetermined number of steps.

3. Why is Kac's Random Walk useful?

Kac's Random Walk is useful in studying systems with random fluctuations. It can be used to model the behavior of particles in solutions, the diffusion of molecules in a gas, or the behavior of stock prices in the stock market. It also has applications in computer science, such as in random number generation.

4. How is Kac's Random Walk analyzed?

Kac's Random Walk can be analyzed using statistical methods, such as calculating the mean and variance of the particle's position at each step. The results can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of the particle over a large number of steps.

5. What is the significance of randomly rotating unit vectors in Kac's Random Walk?

The randomly rotating unit vectors in Kac's Random Walk are essential in creating a truly random movement for the particle. Without these rotations, the particle's movement would be predictable and not reflective of real-world scenarios. The use of randomly rotating unit vectors ensures that the particle's direction at each step is independent of its previous directions, making the model more accurate.