Analyzing First Order Transient Circuits Using Differential Equations

In summary, the person is trying to solve a circuit using a differential equation and does not know how to put it all together. They know the solution but do not know how to extract it from their work.
RadiationX
Please click the image to make it larger:
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2049/82009866sy5.th.jpg

To solve this circuit I'm going to use the differential equation approach. I'm concerned with the voltage across the capacitor at [tex]V_c(0^-)[/tex] and [tex]V_c(0^+)[/tex]

At position 1 before the switch is thrown [tex]V_c(0^-)=0[/tex]

At position 2 after switch is thrown I have the following from KCL:

[tex]\frac{6-V(t)}{12k} = C\frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{V(t)}{6k}[/tex]

This reduces to: [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} + 2.5V(t) = 5 [/tex]

My problem is that I know that this is correct but I don't know how to put it all together.

I know that the solution is of the form:

[tex]K_1 +K_2e^{-t/t_c}[/tex]

The answer is [tex]V(t)=1.33 -1.33e^{-2.5t}V[/tex]

How do I extract this from my work?:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, I thought someone would understand this :cry:

RadiationX said:
Please click the image to make it larger:
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2049/82009866sy5.th.jpg

To solve this circuit I'm going to use the differential equation approach. I'm concerned with the voltage across the capacitor at [tex]V_c(0^-)[/tex] and [tex]V_c(0^+)[/tex]

At position 1 before the switch is thrown [tex]V_c(0^-)=0[/tex]

At position 2 after switch is thrown I have the following from KCL:

[tex]\frac{6-V(t)}{12k} = C\frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{V(t)}{6k}[/tex]

This reduces to: [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} + 2.5V(t) = 5 [/tex]

My problem is that I know that this is correct but I don't know how to put it all together.

I know that the solution is of the form:

The answer is [tex]V(t)=1.33 -1.33e^{-2.5t}V[/tex]

How do I extract this from my work?:smile:

Assuming that you have got the diff eqn correct (I can't see your image so can't check), then you need to either solve this by Integrating factor method or sub in the form
into your equation and then solve for K1, K2 and t_c. You will find that it a polynomial in [tex]e^{-t/t_c}[/tex], equating coefficient of [tex]e^{-t/t_c}[/tex] on both sides you get relation for K1 and t_c, and then use your initial condition to fix K2.

i have got a feeling that
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} + 2.5V(t) = 5 [/tex]

RHS may be wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you made a reduction error because you have the KCL equation correct.

I get the same KCL, but mine reduced to:
[tex]6 = 3v_c(t) + 1.2 \frac{dv_c(t)}{dt}[/tex]

This is simply a differential equation that you need to solve for like any other diff eq would go. First find the homogeneous solution
[tex]0 = 3v_c(t) + 1.2 \frac{dv_c(t)}{dt}[/tex]
with separation of variables and then find the particular solution
[tex]6 = 3v_c(t) + 1.2 \frac{dv_c(t)}{dt}[/tex]
with a judicious guess. Add the two for your overall solution.

Actually I see that my answer doesn't agree with the answer given to you, but I am pretty sure that mine is right because as a quick check you can look at the circuit given to you and for DC values replace capacitors with open circuits and inductors with short circuits.

The DC solution (which happens to correspond with the particular solution because the DC source is driving the circuit) I get is the same through the Diff Eq. and the DC reduction method. Maybe you can verify this.

Related to Analyzing First Order Transient Circuits Using Differential Equations

1. What is a first order transient circuit?

A first order transient circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains energy storage elements, such as capacitors and inductors, and can exhibit a temporary response to a sudden change in the input signal. It is also known as an RC or RL circuit, depending on the type of energy storage element.

2. How does a first order transient circuit behave?

A first order transient circuit behaves by initially responding to a sudden change in the input signal with an exponential decay or growth, known as the transient response. After a certain period of time, the circuit will reach a steady state where the output signal is equal to the input signal.

3. What is the time constant of a first order transient circuit?

The time constant of a first order transient circuit is a measure of how quickly the circuit reaches its steady state. It is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance (RC) or inductance (RL) in the circuit. A larger time constant indicates a slower response, while a smaller time constant indicates a faster response.

4. How do you analyze a first order transient circuit?

To analyze a first order transient circuit, you can use differential equations or circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff’s laws and Ohm’s law. These methods allow you to determine the transient response, steady state response, and time constant of the circuit.

5. What are the applications of first order transient circuits?

First order transient circuits have numerous applications in electronic devices, such as filters, oscillators, and signal processing circuits. They are also commonly used in power supplies, motor control circuits, and communication systems.