How Do You Calculate Initial Conditions in First Order Transient Circuits?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding initial values for io(t=0-), io(t=0+), and Vc(t=0-). The equations V=I*R, i(t)= i(∞)+[i(0+)-i(∞)]*e-t/τ, Vc(0-)=Vc(0+) were used, and the calculated values were 2A for io(0-) and 32V for Vc. The conversation also touched on calculating io(0+) and io(∞) at steady state, where the capacitor behaves like an open circuit. A recommended resource for practicing this type of exercise is to search for "first order circuits examples" online.
Crutchlow13

Homework Statement

Captura de pantalla 2015-11-15 a las 14.01.12.png

It asks me to find io(t=0-), io(t=0+), and Vc(t=0-). C=100μF R= 2kΩ

Homework Equations

V=I*R, i(t)= i(∞)+[i(0+)-i(∞)]*e-t/τ, Vc(0-)=Vc(0+)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I first tried to calculate Vc(0-) as it will be the same as Vc(0+), stating that at t=0- the capacitor acts as an open circuit because it's been fully charged (the switch has been off since -∞), and I think it's 24V but I'm not sure about that. I also calculated io(0-), which is 2A, but I couldn't go any further.

Thank you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some details of your calculations for initial values of Vc and io?

To me, 24 V looks too low and 2 A looks to large...

You're right about the io, I believe it should be 36-12=io(2000+3*2000+2*2000) io=2x10-3 A. For the Vc I just did 36-12, but now that I think of it maybe it's 32, as the voltage drops 4V in the first resistance. I struggle a lot to calculate voltages when the capacitor is in the middle of the circuit.

Crutchlow13 said:
You're right about the io, I believe it should be 36-12=io(2000+3*2000+2*2000) io=2x10-3 A. For the Vc I just did 36-12, but now that I think of it maybe it's 32, as the voltage drops 4V in the first resistance.
Those are better values :smile: You should always lay out the equations, particularly to confirm any "intuitive" results.

gneill said:
Those are better values :smile: You should always lay out the equations, particularly to confirm any "intuitive" results.

Yeah you're right, thanks. I'm now trying to calculate io(0+) and io(∞). For io(0+) I replaced the capacitor for a voltage source of 32V (assuming the other calculations were right) and applying KVL I figured that the intensity should be 32/6000= 5,3x10-3. But I'm not sure how the capacitor acts when t=∞ /:

At steady state, capacitor currents go to zero. Effectively they "look like" an open circuit to the rest of the circuit. So for t=∞ remove the capacitor and find the potential across the points where it was connected.

Fig1.png

gneill said:
At steady state, capacitor currents go to zero. Effectively they "look like" an open circuit to the rest of the circuit. So for t=∞ remove the capacitor and find the potential across the points where it was connected.

View attachment 91864

Thank you very much @gneill, my teacher posted the solution and it turns out the second calculations I assumed (with your help) were right! :D Do you know any good books with this type of exercices so I can practice for my exam? Thank you again for your time.

Crutchlow13 said:
Thank you very much @gneill, my teacher posted the solution and it turns out the second calculations I assumed (with your help) were right! :D Do you know any good books with this type of exercices so I can practice for my exam? Thank you again for your time.
Well done.

I don't know of any particular books, but a Google search on "first order circuits examples" will turn up lots of hits.

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Conditions in First Order Transient Circuits?

1. What is a first order transient circuit?

A first order transient circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains only one energy storage element, such as a capacitor or inductor, and one or more resistors. It is also known as an RC or RL circuit, depending on the type of energy storage element used.

2. How does a first order transient circuit behave?

A first order transient circuit can behave in two ways: it can either be in a steady state or a transient state. In the steady state, the circuit has reached a stable state with no changes in current or voltage. In the transient state, the circuit is still adjusting to a change in voltage or current.

3. What is the time constant of a first order transient circuit?

The time constant of a first order transient circuit is a measure of how quickly the circuit reaches a steady state. It is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance (for an RC circuit) or inductance (for an RL circuit).

4. How does a first order transient circuit respond to a sudden change in input?

When a first order transient circuit experiences a sudden change in input, such as a step input, the circuit will go through a transient state before reaching a new steady state. During this transient state, the voltage or current will change exponentially until it reaches the new steady state value.

5. How can the behavior of a first order transient circuit be analyzed?

The behavior of a first order transient circuit can be analyzed using differential equations or circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws. By solving for the voltage and current equations, the behavior of the circuit can be predicted and the time constant can be calculated.